post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 1983 300DT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Engine dying when I accelerate slowly. 1979 280SE

OK, so I've had this car for a couple of months now. A week or two ago that it started doing this thing where it will die when I start accelerating too slowly. When the engine is revved up it works fine, no problem. It idles OK, perhaps a little rougher than I would like, and if I accelerate smoothly from a stop it has no problem, but when I accelerate too slowly, tap on the gas peddle lightly, or when I start to accelerate but then have to stop suddenly as often happens in city traffic the car dies, I have to quickly put it in park turn the key off and then on to restart it. No problems restarting it will fire right back up. It doesn't do this all the time, but I often notice the engine catching slightly when I press on the accelerator as it switches off of idle. It tends to start dying more when the engine has been running for a while.

To give you a couple of pieces of background on this to see if it gives you any ideas. It was running great when I first got it, but I had to take it in for a bit of work. Breaks and replacement of a radiator hose. This happened several weeks before it starting behaving like this. Also, when I first got it I wasn't aware that Mercedes require Premium gas so I ran one tank of regular through the engine, but I have run two tanks of Premium through it since then. I don't think this would cause this problem but thought it be good to mention this.

I think the timing may be off, my last classic car was a dodge dart and I checked the timing on it regularly, but the timing light I had for it was stolen along with the car last year, so I'm wondering if checking the timing is fairly easy on a Mercedes, and if anyone can walk me through it. If it uses a timing light like with the dart it should be fairly easy, I just need to know which belt to shine it at as adjusting the distributor cap seems fairly easy.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 06:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
And the last tuneup was when?

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I don't know when the last tune up was exactly, however the guy I bought it from had been working on restoring it.

I do know that when he got the car the transmission was out which is why he replaced the engine and transmission with ones he got from another car which had been in a wreck. He said the other car had 97,000 miles on it, he had the dash board odometer from the other car to prove it.

I would assume that they turned up the engine when the put it into a new car...but I suppose it's possible that they did not.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 07:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeptimusPrime View Post

I would assume that they turned up the engine when the put it into a new car...but I suppose it's possible that they did not.
Don't assume, check. How are the wires looking? The cap, the rotor, the plugs?

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
The wires look fine on the outside. I haven't checked the cap and rotor for wear yet, but I don't want to remove any of that without knowing how to do the timing since I'll definitely need to do that after removing the cap/rotor to check for wear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in