post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 02:43 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 2 W123 300D's and 3 W124 wagons
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgosh28 View Post
I'm really sorry to hear about what happened to your car. It sounds like you and your bride have fond memories that were made in it. I hope that makes up, to some degree, for how you had to let it go.
Sad to say, the better half passed away in 2012, after 34 years together. Making fond memories now with a new one. She is not into Mercedes' unless it's an older SL; she's contemplating buying this one
1972 Mercedes 350Sl Roadster Convertible hard top
and putting me to work restoring it. I've seen it, it would take a solid year of my labor and about $20 grand to make it right.

In early 2011 my late wife spotted another W123 sedan for sale locally, a 1985 300D. Its dark blue exterior was in not too bad of condition, its palomino interior was excellent, she said it reminded her of the one we owned in Europe, so I bought it. Soon thereafter I discovered superturbodiesel.com, and started hanging out there; it was awhile later that I discovered benzworld. STD is still my main hangout.

Unfortunately, about a month before my wife died, a deer darted out in front of me on a dark night. I ended up selling that Benz for parts. I do have another W123, a silver '83 300D which I originally bought as a parts car for the '85; it had sat out in a sheep pasture for two years, though under a makeshift carport. I tried starting it about three weeks ago and, to my enormous surprise, it fired right up and runs like a champ. But I've moved now to a much smaller residence, with only one parking space, and I'll use that space for my Ranger pickup truck. So I'm looking to get rid of the '83 300D. I also own a '94 E320 wagon and an '87 300TD wagon, but again have no permanent place to park them, so they must go.

I must add one coda to the story of that Mannheim-built 200. As I turned to walk away from it at the Heidelberg strip lot, having parked it at the end of a row, it occurred to me that I should make some gesture of gratitude at having owned it, of respect for its faithful service. Fishing around in my pockets and looking around the strip lot, I couldn't find anything of a sacred nature to ceremonially bless it with. My eyes then turned to my toolbox, and it occurred to me that the closest thing I had to a treasured sacrificial object was my favorite #2 Phillips-head screwdriver.

So I gently laid the screwdriver in the middle of the driver's seat, "cross" (tip) pointing forward, mentally said a silent "goodbye, old friend," closed the door, turned and sadly walked away.

Last edited by JustPassinThru; 04-26-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 03:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2011
Vehicle: '71 250, '78 450SLC 5.0, '78 450SL, '81 380SLC 5.6, '89 260E, '15 Kia Sorento
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Sad to say, the better half passed away in 2012, after 34 years together. Making fond memories now with a new one. She is not into Mercedes' unless it's an older SL; she's contemplating buying this one
1972 Mercedes 350Sl Roadster Convertible hard top
and putting me to work restoring it. I've seen it, it would take a solid year of my labor and about $20 grand to make it right.

In early 2011 my late wife spotted another W123 sedan for sale locally, a 1985 300D. Its dark blue exterior was in not too bad of condition, its palomino interior was excellent, she said it reminded her of the one we owned in Europe, so I bought it. Soon thereafter I discovered superturbodiesel.com, and started hanging out there; it was awhile later that I discovered benzworld. STD is still my main hangout.

Unfortunately, about a month before my wife died, a deer darted out in front of me on a dark night. I ended up selling that Benz for parts. I do have another W123, a silver '83 300D which I originally bought as a parts car for the '85; it had sat out in a sheep pasture for two years, though under a makeshift carport. I tried starting it about three weeks ago and, to my enormous surprise, it fired right up and runs like a champ. But I've moved now to a much smaller residence, with only one parking space, and I'll use that space for my Ranger pickup truck. So I'm looking to get rid of the '83 300D. I also own a '94 E320 wagon and an '87 300TD wagon, but again have no permanent place to park them, so they must go.

I must add one coda to the story of that Mannheim-built 200. As I turned to walk away from it at the Heidelberg strip lot, having parked it at the end of a row, it occurred to me that I should make some gesture of gratitude at having owned it, of respect for its faithful service. Fishing around in my pockets and looking around the strip lot, I couldn't find anything of a sacred nature to ceremonially bless it with. My eyes then turned to my toolbox, and it occurred to me that the closest thing I had to a treasured sacrificial object was my favorite #2 Phillips-head screwdriver.

So I gently laid the screwdriver in the middle of the driver's seat, "cross" (tip) pointing forward, mentally said a silent "goodbye, old friend," closed the door, turned and sadly walked away.
I'm sorry for your loss. Let's hope you get 34 years with your new bride. That may sound like a crazy thing to say, but I often meet people that are well into their 80's and 90's and you would think they are in their early 60's. We are living longer healthier lives now so I wish you both the very best.

As for the 107. It is easy to find an SL in nice shape for $6,000- $8,000 that won't require much money or time. Texas500SL recently sold his car for about $8,500, I think. The guys on the 107 forum would be a great resource if you are in the market. I think there may even be one or two for sale currently.

I hope my luck holds on the W114 I purchased. If the carbs I found today are any good, or the linkage will fit my car, I should be okay. The carbs look like the same Zeniths on my 250, but they came off a W108. The shop where the motor was stored was dark, but it looked like an M130 engine that they were on so I am hoping for the best.

If someone used undue influence to cause you to lose your 200 I hope they sat on that screwdriver.
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 04:05 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
I'm sorry for your loss. Let's hope you get 34 years with your new bride...If someone used undue influence to cause you to lose your 200 I hope they sat on that screwdriver.

Actually, that wish (the first one) tends to support the theory that you are psychic, because it is remarkably relevant.

I'm 59, the new GF is 64 but looks 52. Every single one of her ancestors, all Swedish, going back five generations, both sexes, made it to their mid-90's.

The females in my tree routinely have reached 90, 95, one aunt even made it to 104, but if I make it to 70 I'll set the record for males going back at least four generations. Seems my family motto on the XY chromosome is "Hope I die before I get old..." so I thank you for that courteous wish.

The GF and I are planning a trip to Europe this fall; she wants to introduce me to her relatives in Sweden. I intend to make a side trip to either France or Italy, to scatter my wife's ashes per her request. I will no doubt be unable to completely resist opportunities which will no doubt arise, to visit strip lots.

Cleaning out my garage I found a couple headlight surrounds, I think they're W115, might fit a 114. Need one?

Last edited by JustPassinThru; 04-26-2014 at 04:08 PM.
post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 04:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: '71 250, '78 450SLC 5.0, '78 450SL, '81 380SLC 5.6, '89 260E, '15 Kia Sorento
Quote:

Actually, that wish (the first one) tends to support the theory that you are psychic, because it is remarkably relevant.

I'm 59, the new GF is 64 but looks 52. Every single one of her ancestors, all Swedish, going back five generations, both sexes, made it to their mid-90's.

The females in my tree routinely have reached 90, 95, one aunt even made it to 104, but if I make it to 70 I'll set the record for males going back at least four generations. Seems my family motto on the XY chromosome is "Hope I die before I get old..." so I thank you for that courteous wish.

The GF and I are planning a trip to Europe this fall; she wants to introduce me to her relatives in Sweden. I intend to make a side trip to either France or Italy, to scatter my wife's ashes per her request. I will no doubt be unable to completely resist opportunities which will no doubt arise, to visit strip lots.

Cleaning out my garage I found a couple headlight surrounds, I think they're W115, might fit a 114. Need one?
Sounds like a fun trip. Now that I know about it you are obligated to post pics when you return. On the 107 forum we say "Pics or it didn't happen".
My dad died at 38 and my Mom at 65. I am 51 now so I feel like I am living on borrowed time. Who knows, you and I may live to be 100.
I am ashamed to admit that I have heard of strip clubs and strip malls, but I have no idea what a strip lot is.
I believe the headlight trim is good on this car, but I honestly haven't looked closely. For the price I paid I was going to buy it regardless. If you don't mind, can I let you know next week? The car is at my brother's shop and I may not get to see it again till next Thursday, although I was hoping for tomorrow.
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 05:39 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
I am ashamed to admit that I have heard of strip clubs and strip malls, but I have no idea what a strip lot is.
My girlfriend's English is still heavily accented. She has a university degree in education, her grammar is usually correct, her vocabulary is large (she was married to a doctor for about 30 years), her spelling is almost 100% flawless, but, even so, every day I find myself having to explain the meaning of simple, but idiomatic, common words and phrases. I have acquired the habit of never presuming that she is joking, when it seems that she is maybe being humorous in claiming that she doesn't understand a word or phrase which "everybody" knows the meaning of...

...so...I am going to assume that you are genuinely unaware of the meaning of the common slang expression "strip lot". A strip lot is a wrecking yard. A parking lot where junk cars get stripped of their parts. In the '80's, every Army and Air Force base in Germany had one, run by the local MWR (Morale, Welfare, and Recreation) division, so that soldiers could fix up their cars (including many, many Beemer 3-series) and their wives' vans and Benz's.

If ever anyone invents a time machine, I'm going back to cruise German strip lots at various eras, and make a quick billion.

Quote:
I believe the headlight trim is good on this car, but I honestly haven't looked closely. For the price I paid I was going to buy it regardless. If you don't mind, can I let you know next week?
I don't mind. I also just found a W108 windshield washer reservoir, like the one you just found, which I'd forgotten I have. If anyone reading this wants it for $5 plus postage, PM me.
post #46 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 06:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
My girlfriend's English is still heavily accented. She has a university degree in education, her grammar is usually correct, her vocabulary is large (she was married to a doctor for about 30 years), her spelling is almost 100% flawless, but, even so, every day I find myself having to explain the meaning of simple, but idiomatic, common words and phrases. I have acquired the habit of never presuming that she is joking, when it seems that she is maybe being humorous in claiming that she doesn't understand a word or phrase which "everybody" knows the meaning of...

...so...I am going to assume that you are genuinely unaware of the meaning of the common slang expression "strip lot". A strip lot is a wrecking yard. A parking lot where junk cars get stripped of their parts. In the '80's, every Army and Air Force base in Germany had one, run by the local MWR (Morale, Welfare, and Recreation) division, so that soldiers could fix up their cars (including many, many Beemer 3-series) and their wives' vans and Benz's.

If ever anyone invents a time machine, I'm going back to cruise German strip lots at various eras, and make a quick billion.

I don't mind. I also just found a W108 windshield washer reservoir, like the one you just found, which I'd forgotten I have. If anyone reading this wants it for $5 plus postage, PM me.
I had never heard the term strip lot until today. We have salvage yards/ junk yards here. It must be the same thing, just a different term for it in different parts of the country.
The washer fluid bottle cleaned up pretty nicely, but who knows how long it will last. The plastic is weak from age, but at least it will hold fluid for now. the one that was in the car crumbled when I touched it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in