LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 11:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: 1967 250 SL, 1963 220Sb
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I didn't see a picture of the car with it lowered, but I wouldn't object aesthetically to it being lowered. I _would_ object to look at the car from behind and seeing a negative camber to the wheels....

Currently: 1967 250 SL, 1963 220Sb, 1965 300SE Lang, 1971 280SE parts car, 1972 Alfa GTV, 1965 Alfa Duetto, 1993 BMW R100R
Past: 1971 250 C, 1985 300 TD, 1967 250 S, 1968 280 S,1981 300 D, 1982 280CE, 3 Facel Vegas, Borgward Isabella Coupe, Alfa 2600 Sprint, Volvo P1900 (yes), numerous less interesting Volvos, ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 12:57 PM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
As soon as I heard it go away when you let off the gas I thought... Drive shaft. Maybe you hit the drive shaft on something and it is now off balance. When you add the force of acceleration it bends that little bit more and starts slapping the tunnel.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
im going to have to take a closer look at whats going on under there and i will keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzi View Post
As soon as I heard it go away when you let off the gas I thought... Drive shaft. Maybe you hit the drive shaft on something and it is now off balance. When you add the force of acceleration it bends that little bit more and starts slapping the tunnel.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Found the problem

Hey guys i figured out the noise, it is the the compensator spring it seems too be too short or just lost its tension 48 years of doing its job its not as strong. i got under there and when i raise the car there is clearance between spring and floor board. when lowered the spring has clearance but it isnt enough.

That being said when i accelerate it causes excessive vibration im assuming from the differ working harder/faster as you speed up and that is why the noise is their.

My question is should i buy a new compensator spring, and will it be longer and do the job. Or should i get two used rear springs and cut them a 1 coil first and see how that rides. I kind of think the compensator spring replacement with new rubber washers would be a better idea ?

Thanks for all the help thusfar.
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 08:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: 1967 250 SL, 1963 220Sb
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I gotta say, you seem _really_ determined to be repeatedly told that this is not something you do with a swing axle car.

If you REALLY like the look of the lowered car with the negative camber on the rear wheels WHICH YOU CAN NOT AVOID, go get a set of springs like the ones you cut and install those at each side and REMOVE the compensating spring completely. That is ALL you need to do.

You do not need a new or bigger compensating spring. It will make no difference because there is nothing wrong with your compensating spring.

Am I the only one who is finding this to be annoying? OK, I'll unsubscribe. You can't help some people.

Currently: 1967 250 SL, 1963 220Sb, 1965 300SE Lang, 1971 280SE parts car, 1972 Alfa GTV, 1965 Alfa Duetto, 1993 BMW R100R
Past: 1971 250 C, 1985 300 TD, 1967 250 S, 1968 280 S,1981 300 D, 1982 280CE, 3 Facel Vegas, Borgward Isabella Coupe, Alfa 2600 Sprint, Volvo P1900 (yes), numerous less interesting Volvos, ...
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 06:50 AM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Weird Noise in rear suspension

I had to look up what a compensator spring is. Here is where I found pictures and conversation about it:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/vint...estions-3.html

I can not understand how the compensator spring would cause that vibrating noise that sounds like something slapping sheet metal, unless maybe your tires are so far out of round that your car bounces at that frequency going down the road (which is too fast unless you have tires the size of peanuts).

And how can the compensator spring make that noise?

It seems all wrong to me. I still think it has to be the drive shaft or axles or a boot hitting the sheet metal.

Edit:
Maybe there is a clamp on the axle somewhere. The noise on my being present at acceleration might make sense as the car tilts back on acceleration squashing your short rear springs and putting the axle that much close to the sheet metal.

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 01:30 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1965 220SE sedan (finnie) with 450SE conversion, 1964 220SE coupe project, 1966 300SE coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I haven't watched the video as I have slow internet on here, but my guess is that the mount that holds the rear end in place is stuffed - it connects the vertical steel post that looks like a rhino horn on the diff up into the boot (sorry, trunk in USA) of the car. If that is flogged out, the diff could move up towards the bottom of the car so the compensating spring hits the boot floor. This would also make the prop shaft move up relative to the floor, possibly hitting the tunnel near the back of the car.
I like low cars too, but yeah be warned that with a lot of camber you will wear out the tyres on the edge and if too low, you can damage the slip joint in the diff - can't fix that if it happens. I don't know where the cutoff point where you may cause damage is though.
Now, what you say about the compensating spring does not make sense to me - if you cut the main springs so the rear is lower, then the compensating spring should be doing more work when the car is on the ground - not less. And with the rear up in the air, the shocks will limit how far down the wheels go, so there will be no difference to the compensator spring with or without cut main springs.
Cheers,
Drew
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 02:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot View Post
Am I the only one who is finding this to be annoying?
Probably. I just find it humorous.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I find both of you humorous and annoying

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike View Post
Probably. I just find it humorous.
rumb likes this.
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks alot ,i will take a look at the bracket tommorow and keep you updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew56cus View Post
I haven't watched the video as I have slow internet on here, but my guess is that the mount that holds the rear end in place is stuffed - it connects the vertical steel post that looks like a rhino horn on the diff up into the boot (sorry, trunk in USA) of the car. If that is flogged out, the diff could move up towards the bottom of the car so the compensating spring hits the boot floor. This would also make the prop shaft move up relative to the floor, possibly hitting the tunnel near the back of the car.
I like low cars too, but yeah be warned that with a lot of camber you will wear out the tyres on the edge and if too low, you can damage the slip joint in the diff - can't fix that if it happens. I don't know where the cutoff point where you may cause damage is though.
Now, what you say about the compensating spring does not make sense to me - if you cut the main springs so the rear is lower, then the compensating spring should be doing more work when the car is on the ground - not less. And with the rear up in the air, the shocks will limit how far down the wheels go, so there will be no difference to the compensator spring with or without cut main springs.
Cheers,
Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in