280 6cyl or 280 v8? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 07:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If you buy the 6 cyl, be aware that at 60 mph the engine will run about 3000 rpm. Don't worry, the engine is made to do this. If the engine, and trans, mounts are new it will be quite. Don't change out the rear axle because the acceleration will slower. As long as the engine has been properly serviced it will last many more years. Clean gas and filter changes will ensure long injection pump life.

Check out the 230-250-280SL web site, www.ssl113.org as the 280SL used the same engine and the others the same style injection system.

Near Manassas Va. '65 220S, 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, '99 Volvo V70, '72 350SL 4 speed

Not part of the in-crowd since 1952. It's BRAKES not breaks. You break a bone, use brakes to stop your car. /rant

http://www.megamanual.com/index.html
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 08:33 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: Mercedes
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
In that car owned a 280 6 cyl and 280 V8 3.5 I prefer the 6 cylinder, as it is about 1/2 cost to maintain. And in my opinion the power difference is marginal at best between the fuelie 6cyl and v8. I replaced a set of trigger points, updated to electronic ignition and replaced a map sensor on my v8 in a month and realized I had just thrown a good week worth of European vacation at the car and increased the cars value by $0.00..

For cruising a well maintained 6 cyl is okay. Remember Mercedes built the cars knowing they might be at max rpm all day as it was and still is possible to do so in Germany and Italy and I am told parts of Austria.

6 cylinder car will be much cheaper so you can get a nicer car for crap v8 car money...

Wanted:
w126 Left euro headlight, Someone that can refinish my wood in Grey woodgrain
Helpful Positive responses, Negativity Keep quiet
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 03:34 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: Mercedes Benz W108 - 280 SE (1970) / Mercedes-Benz W123 200T (1983)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbain View Post
If you buy the 6 cyl, be aware that at 60 mph the engine will run about 3000 rpm. Don't worry, the engine is made to do this. If the engine, and trans, mounts are new it will be quite. Don't change out the rear axle because the acceleration will slower. As long as the engine has been properly serviced it will last many more years. Clean gas and filter changes will ensure long injection pump life.

Check out the 230-250-280SL web site, www.ssl113.org as the 280SL used the same engine and the others the same style injection system.
I'd go for a six cylinder as well. They are easier to DYI, the fuel injection is mechanical (electronic on the V8's are cool and everything, it's just a bit harder to diagnose problems and old wiring is rarely good if you buy a car that's been sitting!), the nose is a tad lighter and it's very rev happy. It is a bit louder at highway speeds but it has plenty of grunt, it loves the highways.
I'd go for one with a manual. I've never actually been in a W108 automatic, so I cannot tell you my exact experience. I have been told that the automatics feel a lot slower than the manuals though, and I can believe that.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 1968 280se, 1972 280se 4.5, Land Rover disco II, Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Tiger. +boring Chevy Van
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Well guys i pulled the trigger today and went for the 6 cylinder.
It is in superb condition. The family are the original owners from 1968.
always garaged and covered with a sheet. Original paint has gloss and depth, seats no tears or rips and very comfy. Dash perfect, this thing is like a time capsule. I drove it 4 1/2 hrs home on I5. Yes it is a little louder than the v8 at high speed. But i found once it settled into around 70 to 75 it felt great.
It is a real 60k car.It feels tight all round. He showed me receipts for work done.t 54k it had a new tranny fitted the original was sitting so long without use it gave him problems. I could not be more happy with it.
Thanks to all of you for the help in buying a 108. I'm sure i'll be a regular visitor to this site for tips on how to keep this car in top notch.
One question i do have. Do you guys add an lead additive to the fuel when filling up? and i assuming high grade 92.
Thanks John.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 12:19 AM
BenzWorld Member

Congrats! it sounds like a lovely car (post pictures!)

There's another thread here where lead additive is being discussed, it's still on the first page of this sub-section.
To sum it up, some people say it's not needed and some say it's a good idea to use. If you bought a six cylinder with fuel injection, then I'd use a lead additive. It lubricates the insides of the MFI pump and will give it a longer life. It also lubricates various other parts that wouldn't get lubrication with normal fuels too.
I run a 280 SE W108 and I was told to use a lead additive in it because of the above reasons. You cannot really go wrong with it as it'll just go through the engine and come out as exhaust smoke if it's not needed.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Vehicle: 1968 280se, 1972 280se 4.5, Land Rover disco II, Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Tiger. +boring Chevy Van
(Thread Starter)
Here is the craigs list posting. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4413136478.html

i will post more in the next few days once i wash all the bugs off from the blast down the highway
Thanks for the advice on the additive.
Cheers john.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 06:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Looks great, congrats!
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 03:49 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wroding View Post
Here is the craigs list posting. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4413136478.html

i will post more in the next few days once i wash all the bugs off from the blast down the highway
Thanks for the advice on the additive.
Cheers john.
Here's the thread on the lead additive discussion
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/vint...ubstitute.html
I'd consider reading it and for you to consider everything posted there (especially the article I posted!). I've been running the Shell additive I posted in there with no problems at all and I'm sure the fuel system is being lubricated.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Jackbody
i will read that thread.
here are some pix of me picking up my new baby.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7063 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	32
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	901561   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6979 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	901569  
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
I do have a couple of questions.
I notice the shifting of the transmission is a little jerky. 2nd to 3rd. 3rd to 4th.
From the receipts the transmission is 5k miles old. The guy told me when it was fitted he noticed that it was a little jerky shifting from new.
i was wondering if it could be a vacum leak of some kind? Any ideas would be welcome.
Also because the dash is in such nice condition i would like some advice on care. i do know that products such as armor all tend to do more harm than good.
i was thinking just a lightly dampened rag would be best for cleaning.
Also does anyone sell a fitted protective cover for these cars?
Thanks guys.
john.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in