BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 1993 Mercedes-Benz 400E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
'76 240D oil Filter leak problem

Hello All,

This is my first post in a long time. I just acquired a 240D with unknown mileage and decided to change the oil and filter. I drove a few the car a few hundred miles before this--there were no oil leaks. I changed the oil and put in a new filter (very messy) but finally got the canister bolt screwed in fairly tight (if anyone knows the torque value for the oil filter canister bolt, I would be much appreciated), took it for a brief test ride . . . and no leaks.

Then I saw the "pre-filter" on my workbench--I had installed the filter without putting the pre-filter back on the bolt shaft. I took the canister/filter off again, put the plastic pre-filter on, correct side up and screwed it down pretty tight, but not too tight. I started the car, started backing out of the garage and then noticed at least a gallon of oil on my garage floor. It spewed about 1 gallon of oil in about 30 seconds.

What did I do screw up? I don't know-BUT I did not install the ~22mm inside diameter copper ring that came with the Mahle oil filter kit (I couldn't figure out where that was supposed to go). Also there was a dent on the lip of the top of the canister (which I've since fixed and it was actually there before I did the oil/filter change when there was no leak).

But most weirdly there is a synthetic band (not an o ring) that goes around the top of the canister lip on top of the big rubber o ring--this was there when I first removed the canister so I kept it back on. But I don't know if it should be there--I don't see it in exploded oil filter parts diagrams for W115 engines.

Any ideas? I have pics https://imgur.com/a/6fZDi?gallery

Thanks in advance,

Matthew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 04:03 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 1975 240D
The oil filter bolt gets torqued to 40Nm (about 30ft lbs). You may have cocked the filter bowl so it isn't fully seated. This is especially easy to do if your engine mounts are sagging (the clearance for the oil filter gets tight between the engine and subframe).
I prefer the O ring over the flat rubber gasket. The latter always seems to leak on me.
I'm guessing what you're calling the pre filter is a thin nylon screen. It is actually the main (full flow) filter and the paper cartridge is the by pass filter. It's meant to be cleaned at each oil change. I give mine a good swish in some fuel and then let it dry.
The big washer is probably for a different application. There's a metal gasket that goes on the oil filter bolt on the outside of the filter housing and another for the oil drain plug.
SO the stack up goes like this: sealing ring on the bolt, then the oil filter bowl, then the spring (fat side with the plate facing the bypass filter), then the by pass filter (cartridge), full flow filter (ribbed side facing the by pass).
Make sure the gap between the shoulder of the filter bowl is even all the way around the housing before you torque the bolt. Should be good to go.
matthewc likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 1993 Mercedes-Benz 400E
(Thread Starter)
Thank-you Just Another Dave! Your specific and detailed instructions were just what I was looking for. I think the moderator should make your post a sticky!

I reassembled the filter into the canister with the spring in the correct orientation this time. I also left off the synthetic band that was under the big rubber o ring. Coincidentally, I also received a used copy of the MB "Service Manual Engines 615, 616, 617.91" in the mail today. It contains several excellent diagrams of the oil filter assembly.

Anyway, I made sure to push the oil filter housing up snug and centered against the Filter top before tightening the bolt with my fingers and then the 17mm socket to 30 ft/lbs.

Long story short--no leaks.

To anyone doing this job the first time I would advise them to do the following along with your instructions:
1.Take your time.
2.Clean all the black oil off everything before re-assembling so you can see what your doing.
3.Jack the car up--at least the left front quarter.
4.Go slow.
5.Double check the order and orientation of the oil filter parts assembly before getting under the car.
6.Wear clothes you don't like and want to get rid of when doing the job.

cheers,

Matthew
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 10:23 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 1975 240D
You're very welcome! Good to hear you're leak free.
I chuckled at #6 on your list because I've got a T-shirt, jeans and shoes that I wear solely for working on the Benz.
matthewc likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 08:41 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
the canister is tricky to line up before tigtening the bolt , remove it , and you will find that the lip got crunched .you can with a plier straighten this lip .next time , run your fingers against the top of canister to make sure it is positioned right before tightening the bolt .
matthewc likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 12:02 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2012
On another note on that, I recently changed the oil on my 1976 300D, again, never had any problems in the past, put the new flat rubber washer that came with the new Wix filter, yes a pain to get her to line up right, a few cuss words, deep breaths, got it on. Started her up, got down on my knees to look for leaks, same thing, oil gushing out, crap, shut off, spent a bit of time cleaning her up again, but put the old rubber washer on instead, which was more round, more cuss words, more deep breaths, got her on, and NO leak. For my future use, NO flat rubber canister filter washers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in