Ignition problem w114 - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 09:50 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes Benz 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Kurt, first off I am sorry that you are getting such terrible service from Hotspark. I will stop recommending them if they don't step up and make an attempt to satisfy your problem. Also i just remembered that there are two different sizes of the Non-wired sensor that slips over the hexagon shape on the distributor shaft. There shoulud be no play in that if it is the correct size. It should fit nice and tight. When you get a chance, check yours and let me know what you find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 10:21 AM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
There appear to be at least three ways to get your car running (that I'm aware of). Pick your path, and perhaps proceed from there:

1) original configuration w switchgear
2) aftermarket electronic or optical ignition. (HotSpark is one of these options.)
3) run it "old points" style, connect green wire from points to negative on the coil, and 12 V (from ignition switch) to the positive on the coil.

I switched my car from #3 to #1 because #3 will fry the points pretty quickly.

Chose your path forward and proceed. Provide videos, pictures, diagrams, and be very descriptive and you will get lots of help. People just want to help.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2012
Vehicle: 1972 MB 250C
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I have received a response from Hotspark after sending another email asking to return the unit under warranty. I was told to send it back in "as new condition". Hopefully that means as new but installed and lightly machined for clearance condition.

Fonzi, if going "old points style" I am assuming the corresponding coil/resistor will allow the points to last a bit. Since I'm currently over a hundred bucks into option #2 I should see if I can get it to work. Thanks to everyone for the help.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 05:53 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2011
Vehicle: 1970 Mercedes 250c, 1977 mercedes 230 (put to rest at a junyard she served me well)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would definitely put everything back the way it was before you changed anything, get an in-line spark tester and check for spark at the plugs, if there is none, move the Spark tester to the coil, determine exactly whats going on.

If the car starts but then dies, there is probably spark happening, it might be another issue, or an intermittent issue, but you have to be kind of scientific about it, if you start changing things without really knowing whats wrong you are basically screwing yourself up further.

If the ignition module is bad you can basically bypass it like someone said earlier.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2012
Vehicle: 1972 MB 250C
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
First, thanks to everyone for the input and help. The Hotspark option is no longer an option. Not so much due to the product, but due to the seller. I'm
going the pre-transisterized route. I think I'm stuck with the Hotspark coil, will it work? it's resistance is 1.7 Ohms. I've already ordered the correct condenser, fresh points and a 0.9 Ohm ballast resistor.

Luna, I just re-read your post. The magnet sleeve was loose and as per the Hotspark instructions I wrapped a little electrical tape around the dizzy shaft to get it to seat. I also had to machine a little off the base of the module for it to fit. Lastly the coil was not a direct fit. Despite what the website stated, the Bosch coil was larger in diameter than the Hotspark coil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in