post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 1972 250c
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I want a 250C Holy grail car

I thought to finally kick my search for a 250C into higher gear, I do what always has been to most successful and satisfying part of the car search: Join a bunch of like-minded folks with the same passion.

So, here it goes. I am looking for a W114 Mercedes 250C and yes, I am looking for a grail car, which to me has the following attributes:
  • A nice, unmodified car - maintained to original specs or restored to original specs. SCM condition ~ 2-
  • A cool color combination - Prefer two-tone or crazy metallics or blue cars and non-black interiors. Not looking for a white/ black/ brown/ red/ yellow car
  • Sunroof
  • 4 speed

Quick intro about me: Long-term and terminally obsessed with classic cars, I own - and have owned - a bunch of them. While usually very partial to Porsches and Italian coach built, now for a long, long time the 2-door Mercedes coupe is simply fascinating me for all the right reasons (My dad drove the W114 4 -doors, growing up in Germany, a passion for unusual designs - that pillar-less roof line ..., etc.).

Currently in the stable are my 1969 911S soft-window Targa (Owned for 12 years), a '72 Alfa Junior Zagato (Owned for 8 years) and a '62 Lancia Appia Vignale convertible (The newest addition, now owned for 4 years). So, when I get into a car, I usually really get into it. I am also usually active in the associated clubs and, if you are a regular Irvine Cars and Coffee participant, changes are that we know each other.

I am in SoCal/ LA and I appreciate any leads to the right car. I understand that the wish list is ambitious and there are certainly trade offs I am willing to make (e.g. no 4 speed for fun colors, condition, sunroof, etc.).

With that, hi everybody!

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 03:03 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 1994 E500
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Mike good to have you here, its nice to dream big and if you don't mind a long wait you might find at least some of your list in 1 car.

My 1971 250C is on the rare side, but not as rare as what you are looking for.

Keep us updated on your hunt.

1993 500E 040 / 271 - Porsche Type 2758 ~~~~ 1971 250C Ivory / Cognac Leather

1994 E500 - Sold
2003 CL600 - Sold
1994 E500 - Sold
1995 E320 Cab - Sold
1988 BMW M6 - Sold
1994 E320 Cab - Sold
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 03:45 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Aug 2012
Vehicle: 1972 MB 250C
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm thinking the 4 speed is the only tough one. Will have to be a non U.S. car as far as I know. The automatics are actually 4 speeds. The car I found has no sunroof, but it's 2 tone blue over blue, so they're out there. There is a blue one on Craigslist SF right now I believe.
Your 911 being an S, a softwindow and a '69 makes it a rare bird. Nice stable.
post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 09:43 AM
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 1971 250C
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Welcome Mike,

They do exist.
There was one for sale recently nuts and bolts restore for over 100k.

It took me almost 5 years to find mine.
71 250C, beige on beige (original paint, not color but original factory paint) with not a spec of rust,scratch or dent. I couldn't believe my luck.

Not so lucky with the engine as someone run the engine low on oil and the crankshaft bearings were gone (3 of them).
I am currently rebuilding the engine (check my posts)

With that my car would be complete (at least for me)

oh by the way:
comes with power windows, power sunroof and a/c. Perfect interior. What more can I ask?

Cheers and happy hunting
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the welcome.

There are always a few on the market. Of course, just not what I am looking for. Not the first time I am looking for either a crazy car or one with a crazy wish list and I do have time and am willing to pay ... though I have to admit that I will not pay $100k no matter how perfect. I think by now that I have a good understanding of the market

On the 4-speed/ manual: I did see the occasional car on the market. I thought they could be ordered with it in the US?

The 911 is indeed a special car. They only made supposingly ~50 softies in 1969 on the long wheelbase as Porsche already went to glass the year before. We estimate that only 12 were S cars and I am aware of 6 of them still left - which might not be a bad survival rate.

post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 06:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I am a big fan of the Targa and almost bought one a couple of months ago. I probably will own one at some point, the urge never goes away. I've heard that, rarity aside, the soft-window cars aren't as useful as the glass-backed version, what's your preference? I don't think I would mind one bit having the more open car with wind freely blowing through, but perhaps it is more prone to leaking or something else I haven't considered.

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
(Thread Starter)
I am very partial to the soft window cars: Overall, I think nothing beats the look of a 911 coupe but nothing beats the craziness, idiosyncrasy and "wind in your hair" feel of a softie. Added bonus: That sound of that engine when you push it to red line brings you closer to heaven! Prior to 82, that was as close as you got to an open 911/ 912.

They are definitely less practical that a glass version: Yes, water can get in easier and the zipper is a pain in the *** to get in in the cold as the plastic contracts with colder temperature (I had mine standing in the sun on colder winter/ spring days for hours simply to heat up the plastic). It also scratches. Body stiffness (The car's, not mine ...) is less of an issue and to me, almost unnoticeable to a coupe under normal driving conditions. Porsche put reinforcements in and the Targa bar also helps a lot. besides, You are not going to race in a softie anyway. Lastly, a soft-window carries a price premium of about 20 - 30% over glass-Targas due to their rarity and increasing popularity. You essentially only have 1967 and a few 1968 examples to choose from.

Apart from all that, given it is a classic car that you are likely only drive on fun weekend rides and not in the rain, if you want a Targa, then the soft-window is the way to go.

DirectLA likes this.
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 01:53 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: '73 280C

Here's a pic of mine just to tease. '73 280C, Auto, Sunroof. Just ordered a new red leather interior to replace my "aged" original material. 920 Deep Blue over 268 Red Leather.

And here's that $100K car.
Classic Showcase | Classic Cars for sale, Classic Jaguars, Collector Cars, E-Types, Exotic Cars, Vintage Cars, European Classic Cars, Jaguar E-Types For Sale in California

If you decided to go in the opposite direction.
1969 Mercedes-Benz 250 Sedan (W114) ? Niche Motoring

Instagram @derstrichacht for interesting W114/5 pics.
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 03:51 AM
Will Moderate For Cigars
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Here's one I found up in TN a few years ago. Turns out the engine was shot.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
(Thread Starter)
Your blue over red car looks absolutely stunning. Now that's what I would love, it is an unbeatable color combo. I had a 356 a few years back and that color was light blue metallic (Aquamarine metallic in Porsche speak) over a red interior. There is something very magical about blue/ red color combos.

I also noticed the CS car and when I heard that somebody is asking $100k, that came immediately to mind. Since I want to drive mine extensively, a number 1 car will not do it and, as I said before, $100k will definitely not do it. If I spend that money, I will buy an Alfa Giulietta Veloce or another T-1 356 coupe or a Lancia Appia Zagato, or ... a million choices ...

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: