Last summer, I was highly interested in the W115 platform and specifically a pair of W115 diesels- a 220 and 240.
Time passed while I waited for the state to send me a retirement check, and on Thanksgiving day, the 240 was sold. The next week, I received my check.
Bummed, I put the vintage Mercedes-hunting on hold.
All the while, I knew about this old girl withering away behind my friend's work (a Ford dealer ironically enough):
As according to the stock tag, it's a 1966. It's badged and labeled as a 200D but the engine definitely didn't look like a diesel- carburetor and distributor are pretty dead giveaways.
Anyone familiar with the W110 platform might notice that it's a single carb where if this was a gas 2.0L M121 motor from 65 or later, there would be two.
I came across heckflosse.nl and researched the engine code. I snapped a pic when I went to look at it during lunch monday.
This threw me for a huge loop for a few days, and then I finally figured it out: the engine isn't from a W110. I googled M121.010 and made the rather surprising discovery that the motor is from a W121 'Ponton' and is indeed a 1.9L with a Solex 32 carb (if it's stock).
I have no idea what the transmission is, or if it's original, but it's a four on the floor (factory option, dunno how rare but I'm more than okay with that).
Odometer reads 70k, the grille has 100km and 200km mileage awards so I'm guessing the car has 170k on the body and who knows on the engine.
I'm picking her up here in a few hours and wanted to share. I'm happy to report that I was expecting to pick her up for a grand, and the dealership told my friend that I could have it for a number that was far less than that and even what I really wanted to pay for it (I am not supposed to say).
Plans are to get her to turn over and run first. She cranked over when I took a look Monday (a very healthy crank attempt I might add), clutch felt good and it seemed like the emergency brake was functioning as intended. It's been sitting a year probably so new gas and maybe a thorough seafoam session will get it running right.
After she's running right, addressing any issues like brakes or lights will be next. Beyond that, I want to convert the Solex carb to a Weber 32/36 (highly common on Datsuns, and I have a few friends in the Ratsun scene who are jumping at the bit to help me convert her to a Weber), and do some custom exhaust work for a side dump. Call it ratty or dumb but I can think of a better way to turn heads and break necks than having some ratty looking Mercedes fintail setting off car alarms and backfiring!
Paint and body plans are to replace that front drivers fender, do what I must about the rust spots, sand/prime for paint and then possibly vinyl wrapping or rattle can white as a semi-temporary solution. I want to do a full proper paint job on this, but lack of a permanent garage and Oregon rain prioritizes something to stop the rust cancer from spreading than being 100% restored.
As far as modifications or otherwise non vital, "stupid" or otherwise non restoration work goes, the general plan is to get her low and or on air ride suspension.
My inspiration cars:
Thanks for reading and stay tuned for progress pictures and requests for help when I run into the strange problems that arise from having an older engine in a new body style (especially when the engine is from the far more obscure body style!)
Rest of the pics I took Monday (I'm picking this up in a few hours by the way):
For bonus, my current daily Mk4:
And the friend who's been instrumental in helping me save this beauty's daily driven Datsun 521: