Thanks Luna! I will be sure to read those two threads.
If you can't tell, I like providing updates. Today might not have been a big day for progress on the car, but it was a good day for learning.
Positive Informational Developments:
- determined a little more of the history of this car, as if it matters.
- discovered that it looks like the majority if the ATF for the power steering fluid
is coming right out of the top of the reservoir via the bolt hole
where there is no washer or seal. This may turn out to be a much cheaper and easier fix after I determine what is supposed to be on there. (Does anyone sense that the last "mechanic" to work on this car wasn't very good?)
- a major source of leaking oil appears to be the oil filler cap
Negative Informational Developments:
- the oil filler cap is leaking (yes, both good and bad)
- got some moisture from the top driver's side of the radiator
where there is green crystallization.
- I think that a screeching isn't just the belts, but perhaps the fan clutch
. At low rpms, I don't get the screech. But when I touch the gas, the a reach is unbearable. I worry about upsetting neighbors with the exhaust (which did set off a car alarm tonight. Oops! LOL), but the screech of (what I assume is) the fan clutch is horrid . I had to stop messing with it after just a few minutes nearing 1 am here. I sprayed the areas with wd40 assuming it couldn't cause any problems. There's already fluids all over the engine bay.
- I think, actually I know, I broke my 0.6 ohm resistor
. I went to the gas station and invested another $25 in 7 gallons of premium (a whole half tank!) and on the way back I got some ignition cut out and jerking, and I knew something was coming disconnected. A quick look and jiggle of the wires showed a very loose end on the 0.6 ohms resistor that is open on the back side . I was therefore able to see that it was broken but still in contact, allowing the car to still run, until it doesn't contact (bumps, jerks, etc). So insay this is negative news, but I think these resistors are cheap, and mine may not have even been the correct resistance anyway. Earlier I was not liking that the back side of this resistor was wide open. Ha! Look how lucky imam that it IS open. Otherwise I might now have found the source of this problem for ages. So I've got to see this as a stroke of good luck actually.
: I filled up the reservoir and I have some power steering action, but not like sailing a boat. It to the right easily, but it seems harder to turn to the left. Maybe it's just that tire getting low again. I may have to swap in the original spare or take that tire to get remounted and balanced. Or is there something in the steering box that might cause this?
: it's mighty creaky. Maybe related to the above issue?
That's all I can think of for now. Small progress.
Top priorities on my mind right now:
- power steering fluid leak
- order a 0.6 ohms resistor (and a coil for my 5.0 SLC convertible).
- stop that horrible screech
- patch that tailpipe.
- read Luna's info on the carb choke... Or read the whole Zenith guide. That may fall off for a while since I've really got some other extracurricular a to attend to. Heck, everything other than
Cereal Marshmallows. LOL.
Sent from AutoGuide.com App