w108,107 Parts Hoarder
Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500sl92 GONE:280sl79 4xW114/5 3x450sl72-3 280slc4sp81 280s69 73,81SLCs
Location: Philadelphia Area
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Best place for w114 and m130 info.
So step 1 was to (obsess and) get it sparking/running right. I will fine tune the dwell and timing in better weather. Step 2 is to evaluate and build a list.
It is amazing what you can learn by driving the car when not worrying about it stalling. I found/verified two new problems.
1) drivers seat on the middle/passenger side rocks back upon acceleration. Broken seat frame? Well, the drivers seat has always been an issue. So maybe nothing new.
2) from watching the videos, I see that the speedometer is not working (and the shift indicator too).
Well, I created this laundry list of problems before my short-lived CL listing to sell the car. So I might as well lay it all out here too:
Problematic mechanical items:
- the power steering is leaking pretty badly.
- the rear of the exhaust (behind the front/mid muffler) is shot.
- horn is not working
- might need to care for carbs. I don't know.
- the radiator has signs of crystallization on it, and might have a leak, but I have not seen any steam or had issues when the car was at full temp.
Cosmetic / Comfort / Convenience:
- speedometer / odometer
- shift indicator
- the drivers seat has a rips
- missing right rear passenger floor carpet
- glove box locks and stays shut when locked, but the latch is broken so it will not stay shut unless locked.
- rubber trunk mat is deteriorated.
- back driver door does not lock.
- the engine bay is oily (probably from power steering)
- power antenna on front passenger fender is always up. Never saw it try to go down. Important in order to get a cover on the car.
- steering wheel has cracks in it (character I guess)
- dash has cracks in it
- back of headliner falling at back window.
- AC has no belt on it, so it obviously is not currently working.
- driver rocker molding broken off at front.
- front door pockets are broken off (but can probably be repaired and reattached).
- front right tire loses air after several days.
- rust spots: there are a bunch. If you can bring this home and hit it with a wire wheel, phosphoric acid, and POR-15, I thing you'd end up with only the front of the rockers that need any other additional attention (and the spare tire well).
- front of rockers appear to have been previously bondo'd behind the front wheels.
- fronts of rockers clearly have significant rot and should get new sheet metal for a long term fix. Of course you could just fill it up with bondo and get a few years out of that solution too.
- spare tire well rotted
- paint: the car is repainted in the original 717 papyrus white, and it isn't the best paint job. The car doesn't look bad, but if you are doing a full restore, this car definitely needs a full new paint job.
My dream car is a classic sporty five speed (stick+overdrive) convertible that seats five. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
Last edited by Fonzi; 03-12-2014 at 08:57 PM.