Howdy... Picking up where I left off from my introduction thread.
Sorry I'm a little short of pictures, I took a bunch before I realized the card was not in the camera!
We left off with the car on jackstand with the front wheels off. To finish the prep, I drained the oil and removed the filter. I was planning on changing the oil anyway, and I figured the left mount will be easire with the canister out of the way.
Next, I removed the top engine mount bolts and then removed the nut and bushing from the bottom of the engine damper. Then I supported the engine with a block of wood and a bottle jack under the oil pan along the rear edge.
After that, it's off to the wheel well to remove the shock and disconnect the brake line. I removed the shock to get better acces to the allen screws holding the engine mount to the frame. It's important to support the suspension on the side you're taking the shock out of. Because the shock normally is the travel stop for the suspension; and you will run out of threads on the shock before you run out of travel. I put a cap on the hose side of the brake line to keep debris out. But I just let the top run the brake fluid out. Who knows when the last time it was changed? I also disconnected the sway bar.
Now with the floor jack under the lower ball joint supporting the axle, I removed the front and rear sub frame bolts on one side. Then I lowered the jack until I had enough room to get pry the old bushings out. They just pried out by working side to side a little at a time. Lucky me.
Initially I had trouble getting the right side engine mount. I found the allen screw had gotten a piece of gravel in it. I dug that out with a dental pick. The outer one was real easy after that. I used a 3/8" drive 6mm allen socket with a long extension. the inside one I had to use the short end of an allen wrench because it's right under the engine bearer arm. But once I broke it loose, I unthreaded it using just the socket, so it went pretty quick.
Here's a pic of the old and new right engine mounts. The old one looks pretty flat:
Right engine mount installation was pretty easy and straightforward. After that I put the nylon buffer stops on the bushings:
Then started them into the frame (Left side shown):
Then I pressed them in by jacking the frame back up:
After that it was just a matter of installing the new bolts/hardware. I torqued the bolts to about 35 Ft Lbs. Then installed the shock, reattached the sway bar and brake line. Here's a pic of the right side finished:
The left side was pretty much lather, rinse and repeat. Until I got the engine mount out. Turns out I got sent the wrong one. I think it's for a 300D. As you can see in the next pic the old one just isn't in any shape to re-install, so I will have to wait until Tuesday for (hopefully) the right one to come in the mail.
That's it for now. time to watch some football before I have to pick the wife up from work (my punishment for getting the wrong part I guess).