1982 and 1985 Mercedes Estates - advice on which to buy please! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

View Poll Results: Which of these cars would you buy?
Mercedes 280 W123, 1.8 litres, 1985, excellent condition, £4550 0 0%
Mercedes 200T Estate, 1982, excellent condition, £5950 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: W123 1985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1982 and 1985 Mercedes Estates - advice on which to buy please!

Hi,

I am debating buying either a:

Mercedes W123 280T Estate (1985), 2.8 litre engine
Mercedes 200T Estate (1982)

They are both neck and neck in terms of practicality for what I want to use them for, and condition. However, I'm finding it difficult to find out some specs online and it's now too late to call the dealers for advice (would prefer impartial advice anyway). So my questions are:

1. The 280T seems to only get 19mpg compared to the 200T which gets 26 or 23mpg (conflicting websites). Is this right? It seems like a big difference for two cars which are very similar?

2. What litre engine is the 200T likely to have - does not say in the ad and I forgot to ask the dealer. Was there a standard size or several different ones?

3. What does the T stand for in 200T - is it just a model type or is it to do with a turbo engine?

4. Sellers are asking £4,550 for the 280TE and £5950 for the 200T. Given that both cars have reasonable milage (about £150,000 miles each), and both apparently run very well and are reliable and well looked after etc, and both ook in great condition in terms of rust, chrome, bodywork, etc - are these fair prices to pay for them? Is the 200T actually worth more?

I am booked to view & drive them later this week, but would like to have all the facts straight before I turn up in case they are both good...

Thank you to anyone who may be able to help me make a decision!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 04:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: '84 SEC EuroCoupe, '85 200T EuroWagon, 2012 Nissan Maxima SV Sport
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliamain View Post
Hi,

I am debating buying either a:

Mercedes W123 280T Estate (1985), 2.8 litre engine
Mercedes 200T Estate (1982)

They are both neck and neck in terms of practicality for what I want to use them for, and condition. However, I'm finding it difficult to find out some specs online and it's now too late to call the dealers for advice (would prefer impartial advice anyway). So my questions are:

1. The 280T seems to only get 19mpg compared to the 200T which gets 26 or 23mpg (conflicting websites). Is this right? It seems like a big difference for two cars which are very similar?

2. What litre engine is the 200T likely to have - does not say in the ad and I forgot to ask the dealer. Was there a standard size or several different ones?

3. What does the T stand for in 200T - is it just a model type or is it to do with a turbo engine?

4. Sellers are asking £4,550 for the 280TE and £5950 for the 200T. Given that both cars have reasonable milage (about £150,000 miles each), and both apparently run very well and are reliable and well looked after etc, and both ook in great condition in terms of rust, chrome, bodywork, etc - are these fair prices to pay for them? Is the 200T actually worth more?

I am booked to view & drive them later this week, but would like to have all the facts straight before I turn up in case they are both good...

Thank you to anyone who may be able to help me make a decision!
I own a '85 200T.

#1...I get around 30 MPG (imperial gallon not US) on the highway. You'll never get close to that with the 280TE.

#2...2L gas engine with a carb not ejection. There was also 230TE and a 300TD diesel.

#3..."T" stands for Touring (station wagon or estate).

#4...The 280TE was actually quite a bit more expensive new. The 200T was the base model so it depends what options were added on when first bought.
Mine was pretty well loaded with automatic, sunroof (manual), luggage cover and net and a few other goodies like power steering, which was an option.

I've got over 380,000 kms. on mine and the 5 years i've owned it all it's needed is new tires and oil changes.

Hope this helps. Choose wisely.

]

.... Don't mess with old farts - - age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience!

Gone and almost forgotten......
'96 E320
'79 450 SEL
'78 300 CD

Last edited by xlimodriver; 01-14-2014 at 05:00 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 05:01 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 1966 MB 200; Porsche 914 (6); Porsche 914 (Chev 350); 36 ford
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Wikipedia should answer most of your questions:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes_W123Wikipedia should answer most of your questions:

1. I could be wrong here, but I think the 280 is the six, and the 200 is the four cylinder model, which would explain the MPG difference.

2. See 1.

3. i thought the T meant touring. Could be wrong, could not find a reference. I have a book at home I can check.

Can't help much beyond that, as I am here in the states.

-- brett
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 05:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: '84 SEC EuroCoupe, '85 200T EuroWagon, 2012 Nissan Maxima SV Sport
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
SHOULD BE MOVED TO W123 section

.... Don't mess with old farts - - age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience!

Gone and almost forgotten......
'96 E320
'79 450 SEL
'78 300 CD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in