Need your advice on 1971 250C - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 07:13 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: anywhere from '52 300 to 1990 560SEL,and a '93300TE nothing newer, too much trouble....
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Originally Posted by LWB250 View Post
Having owned a 1970 250C and practically field stripped it during my ownership, I would say that most of the comments are spot on. Some additional ones:

1.) Check the heater blower motor. If it doesn't work, you potentially have a good 10 hour job getting to it. I still have a scar on my hand from this job...

2.) The windshield rubber and rear window rubber is toast. This is a big indication that they have probably been leaking for a long time. Pull up carpets to see the bare floor, especially in the driver's footwell. Leaks here end up in the rocker panel and are usually catastrophic when you start poking holes in the metal.

3.) Ditto for the trunk.

5.) Don't listen to the Zenith carb naysayers. I love these carbs and never had an issue with them on this car or several others I owned with the similar setup. They can be properly rebuilt for change and when set up properly work great.

I'm thinking $2k tops. This car has a lot of issues and unanswered questions. There are far better examples out there from the looks of things - you just have to be patient.

I will say that of the 20+ MBs I've owned over the years, my 1970 250C was one of my favorites.

A more detailed and aggressive approach, I like it.

1. cannot agree or disagree, never drove one LONG enough.

2. probably a little different experience that you make in FL as opposed to us here in L.A.
The climate is mild enough that the floors usually dry out in between leaks on the windshield etc, but I can see that in FL that would cause problems and the rust he's talking about. THAT is why I suggested again to look UNDER the car.

4. A/C not my cup of tea,but I'll go along with that.

5. I am not a NAY-SAYER. As a matter of fact, I like the zenith myself.
But they can be tricky when old and neglected (like anything).

$2 k is what I had first and then changed , not to be too rough on the seller.
BUT, honestly, it does not look like this guy did much other than drive and park the car......

Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
One says ... "proper (green) coolant' ... the other says .... "evil green coolant"

What is right ???

I was just saying "proper coolant" and green in parentheses, as in "I only know coolant to be green".
If that is not the type to use, I don't mind being educated, and why.
That's all

BTW : I like that license plate : one right 213 (original L.A. Area code !)

Last edited by 6punkt3; 01-06-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: