BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 1989 420SEL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
GK brand?

Hello everyone

I recently joined this board by virtue of a project I decided to take on. I recently purchased an '89 420 SEL for $500. I suspect the last owner lived in the car and was a bit of a boozer as I found alcohol bottles riddled throughout the car. Needless to say the car is still in somewhat decent running condition but just needs some serious TLC as I'm trying to restore it to top running performance. My past experience with restoring vintage cars involves mainly American cars so I have to plea ignorance when it comes to Mercedes.

I need to replace entire parts of the cooling system starting with the water pump and thermostat as the engine tends to overheat rather quickly. After running a few Internet searches for the parts I came across a GK brand water pump which the seller is claiming as German made. I usually avoid Chinese made parts as much as possible and I know there's Japanese made alternates out there but I'd rather go German. I've just never heard of GK before and was wondering if anyone can chime in on its legitimacy?

Here's the part I'm talking about:

German manufactured GK Brand Water Pump for Mercedes Benz Free Shipping | eBay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 05:36 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 90 350SDL, 98 S420, 97 SL500, 94 S420, past owner of W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140 & W220 cars
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
If you have questions like this you need a knowledgable parts supplier, such as Dr. Fatty at BuyEuroParts.com - Wholesale European Parts - Mercedes / BMW / Volvo / Saab / Porsche and more!

He knows what supplier is the best (or not) and can guide you through the maze of choices out there to get the best value for your parts dollar.

I use him regularly, and he has saved me a bundle and also helped me to avoid low quality import (i.e. URO) parts.

Best way to get in touch with him is via email. Be sure to ask for the "Poosy" discount which will help net you an even better deal.

And by the way, your car is not really considered "vintage" here. You should post in the W126 sedan forum for the best results.

Dan
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 07:06 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
have used GK for years now , zero problems , LASO would be the other brand .not all china stuff is bad , anything that has rubber in it i stay away [ axle boots ] they last one year !!!!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 05:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: 1967 250 SL, 1963 220Sb
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
You are new to Mercedes and you decided to buy the cheapest W126 you could find that ran? Sorry, not a "vintage" car. I don't mean to rain on your parade and I do hope you have fun with it, but don't spend more on it than you are prepared to lose. Just have fun with it. Like I'm doing with my 1963 220Sb that I bought sight-unseen and have some regrets but am enjoying the project anyway.

Currently: 1967 250 SL, 1963 220Sb, 1965 300SE Lang, 1971 280SE parts car, 1972 Alfa GTV, 1965 Alfa Duetto, 1993 BMW R100R
Past: 1971 250 C, 1985 300 TD, 1967 250 S, 1968 280 S,1981 300 D, 1982 280CE, 3 Facel Vegas, Borgward Isabella Coupe, Alfa 2600 Sprint, Volvo P1900 (yes), numerous less interesting Volvos, ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in