post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 1998 MBZ 320E and 1990 MBZ190e
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Going to Look at 1 owner 1961 220sb

I'm going this weekend to look at and maybe buy a 1961 220sb, one owner, garage kept Benz. Do any of you guys have any advice or anything I need to look for, or look out for. Price?? This is an estate sale. And is this even a "desirable" car.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 08:47 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 1971 250C
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
There is one thing that I hate he most and don't want to deal on These cars

R
U
S
T

Rust will cost you tons of money to repair
Everything is replaceable
It all depends how much time and money you want to put in it
I would rather pay more for an excellent condition car

Post pictures after the visit

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 02:00 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: anywhere from '52 300 to 1990 560SEL,and a '93300TE nothing newer, too much trouble....
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
condition

there are one owner cars and there are ONE owner cars...

Condition is important.
AND MAINLY if the car was kept dry and indoors and if it was moved/driven occasionally.
As mentioned Rust is No 1 deterrent.
mileage could be over 100 or even 200 000 miles...(check wear patterns...)

If you end up not interested in it, pass on the info, please, maybe somebody else here would want it.

Thanks
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 05:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 90 350SDL, 98 S420, 97 SL500, 94 S420, past owner of W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140 & W220 cars
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Depends on what your idea of "desirable" is.

If you mean is it valuable or rare? Absolutely not. The 190 was a pretty plebeian model of its time as far as MBs go, so don't expect that it's going to even be worth what they want for it.

Price will be subjective.

If it's an auction or estate sale seller, be prepared for them to ask an unrealistic price, as they will look at age and patina as opposed to the actual market value when they price it. In other words, because it's an "antique" or "classic" they may have very unrealistic expectations of value.

And as other have pointed out, these models are very prone to rust and expensive to repair. In many cases the repairs exceed the value of the car.

Definitely check it out and see - you may get lucky! Be sure to follow up here with some pictures if you can.

Good luck,

Dan
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 10:10 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWB250 View Post
If you mean is it valuable or rare? Absolutely not. The 190 was a pretty plebeian model of its time as far as MBs go, so don't expect that it's going to even be worth what they want for it.
He isn't seeing a 190 just to clarify. The fintail sedans are starting to creep back up in terms of value and desirability as their more valuable coupe and cab brothers rise, but are nowhere near valuable enough to justify any sort of restoration unless you simply want it perfect and have the cash to lay out. If this is the type of one owner car that it is being made out to be, a real hidden gem, then it may be worthwhile. Ask for any and all service records, and registration info, at least to view and confirm if they don't want to let you leave with the info for privacy reasons. Ask what shop it was serviced at and call that shop and see if they have anything to say about the car. If it has not been run or driven then your costs will begin to mount as you battle leaks and replacing rubber, brakes, cleaning fuel lines, gas tank, etc. Check around the headlights and all lower sections for any signs of rust. See if the heater blower works and how it stops, shifts and idles.
Post pics and their asking price once you've been if you'd like more specific opinions.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 10:22 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 90 350SDL, 98 S420, 97 SL500, 94 S420, past owner of W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140 & W220 cars
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectLA View Post
He isn't seeing a 190 just to clarify.
My bad. Not sure what I was thinking, but I knew he was talking about a finnie…

All good points. if it's solid and inexpensive, great. if it's a fixer-upper and not cheap, walk away.

Dan
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 10:14 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: anywhere from '52 300 to 1990 560SEL,and a '93300TE nothing newer, too much trouble....
so ?
What was the outcome ?
I am curious as to what happened to the car.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Finally, went to see the 61 today. Looks great on the outside, just 30 years of garage dirt. It has'nt ran since 1984. But the interior looks rough. I think it would be would run if tinkered with. They want 2300. ????
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 07:35 PM
BenzWorld Member

Where are the photos ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmdake View Post
Finally, went to see the 61 today. Looks great on the outside, just 30 years of garage dirt. It has'nt ran since 1984. But the interior looks rough. I think it would be would run if tinkered with. They want 2300. ????
If you start a thread like this and you want our opinion in my mind you need to put up some photos or else we are all just guessing.
About the 220Sb in general:
Later cars are more desirable than earlier ones for technical reasons: brakes, automatic..
Earlier ones were nicer and more durable inside.
The body is the same from 1959 through 1968 though they stopped 220Ss in 1965 (with the start of he w108-line) and only kept one model (6cylinder) the 230S until early 1968 when the /8 came out or known as w114/5 sedans. As said Look out for rust.
1. Rocker panels (or just the tips), if bad the jack points will give like butter when you try to jack up the car.
2. Cross member under radiator.
3. top edge of inside fender where the fenders screw onto body.
and bottom edge of the fender near front door.
4. Bottom of doors
5. trunk floor and bottom of trunk/rear fender (spare wheel wells) also rear wheel arches.
6. if really bad: the frame rail inboard from the rear wheels above and where it swings over the rear axle.
All of it fixable, but the more and the better you do it, then cost usually out-runs the value of the finished car.
For a decent runner you can weld on flat patches, but that's just to keep it from falling apart.

take a screw driver and poke.

ALSO : take some gloves and see if you can turn the motor. If it's frozen it'll be questionable if this car is gonna make it back on the road.....

Now you have an excuse to go back and take photos especially underneath.

I'll tell you more if you bring photos....about the price etc....

Alex

I have several of these here in CA, so I know these cars....well

Last edited by 6punkt3; 01-02-2014 at 07:59 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks so much Alex. It is so dark in the garage that I'm not sure that the pix would be any good. I'm pretty sure the body is good. The issue with the car was the carb. The guy who owned the car was apparently good about maintaining the car. But I really wished I'd tried to turn that motor manually. The car is a pretty good distance, from here. Do you think the motor would be seized, after 30, I'm thinking that it could be. Just don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in