Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Hi Miguel, the front floor pan, and in fact the entire interior is all welded up, sealed and sound-proofed. The front seats are re-assembled and installed, as is the dash. I had to remove the padded top section of the dash, as it was cracked, broken and warped beyond salvaging. I'm in the final stages of assembling and installing the door panels, after taking an inordinately long time fitting them. Also, due to the constant heat (we just had the hottest June here on record), I found that the adhesives I'd been using were insufficient, and so I'm having to go back and re-attach quite a few pieces with a more expensive bonding agent.
I found that the coolant gauge didn't work, so I installed an old aftermarket VDO unit I had squirreled away in my shop. I really love modifications I did to the glow circuitry. The plugs are now triggered by the ignition switch via a relay from an OM616, so the "gorilla knob" is just used to engage the starter and shut off the engine. Much less stress and strain.
I'll take some pics once the door panels are completed and installed.