post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 1976 MBZ 450SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
76 450SL how to:rear stabilizer link replacement

Hi all just replaced the rear stabilizer link assemblies. Purchased new ones off of ebay for under $30.00 for the pair. To do this repair remove the rear tires. One end of the link threads directly into the rear brake backing plate. The other end of the link uses the supplied lock nut to attach to the stabilizer bar. At first I believed I was going to have to remove the rear parking brake shoes to access the other end of the treads on the link to undo a possible lock nut. I presumed this because the replacement link part comes with a lock nut FOR EACH END. The lock nut that is on the end that treads into the backing plate IS NOT USED at least for this application. To be able to thread the link into the backing plate you will need to loosen the Stud/ball joint press fit in the socket of the new link by turning the link assembly's 17mm fixed nut. The press fit of the new part is tight so it wont finger rotate to screw it in easily if you dont loosen it up first. Now just start the stud into the brake backing plate by hand. Once it is just treaded into the backing plate hole continue to tighten the 17mm hex nut/stud/ball and socket assembly until it bottoms against the brake backing plate. Attach the other end to the stabilizer bar using the supplied lock nut and then go repeat the proceedure for the other side. I saw no info for this repair written anywhere to get instructions and even though it is a very easy repair, I had wrongly presumed more work was needed than was actually required because of the extra part (lock nut) that came with the new part. Hopefully this will save another person from removing a set of calipers and a brake rotor to inspect what is needed to get to a NON EXISTANT SECURING NUT that if present would be out of sight on the inside of the backing plate under the parking brake shoes. Removing these parking brake shoes and putting them back in place is no easy task and to do so for no reason would be enough to anger someone. Fortunately before removing those parking brake shoes, I decided to try to untread the old ball and stud that had separated from the old link's socket. It was still attached to that backing plate. As I said, I found it to be screwed directly into the threaded hole in the brake backing plate. No lock nut was utilized there. It would have been horible to have removed those difficult to work with parking brake shoes to look for a non existant hidden nut. I HAD unnecessarily removed the caliper and the rotor, this was work that was not needed at all to do this repair.

Last edited by garyzuckerman; 11-02-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 04:03 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 1971 Mercedes 220d, Nissan Patrol GQ60
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well explained. This can also be used for w114/115s
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 07:20 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: 79 450sl
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wish I would have seen this before I did the job. Oh well. Parking brakes were old and i was there anyway. So what the heck. Changing everything. One note. On some of the stabilizer links the nut shaped to the ball joint has a slight ring on the outside. I don't know what that kind of nut is called. It's as if the nut had a washer attached. You cannot screw this tight to the plate with a conventional wrench. The nut is too narrow for any wrench in my box. The bolt part of the assembly has an allen hole in it so it would appear that you could go through the hub somehow with an allen. You can't. The only way i could see to tighten this fully would be to remove the hub. Not going to happen in my case. So I ordered new ones with a standard nut. Watch that. Mine is a 79 so that might make a difference.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 08:08 AM
Premium Member
Date registered: Nov 2012
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
use the part number 123 320 09 89 , it is easier to install .[ 5 minutes per side ]
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: