BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 1959 190, 1961 190SL, 1967 250SE 4Spd, 1968 220D 4spd
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
W108 4-Speed Floor Shift Bushings Question

Hello Again!

Getting my 250SE up and running, plenty of work's been done so far, but the bushing situation has been tricky to say the least. When I got the car, the gearshift was very sloppy. Lots of guesswork was involved with figuring out what gear you were in, and getting into and out of reverse required an aggressive and swift motion. Got the car on a lift, and surprise, the bushings that sit on the yoke coming out of the transmission were disintegrated. Changed those out, and can now predictably get into each gear....except...it's an absolute bear to get into or out of 2nd gear.

I suspect this is because of how the shift plate right under the shifter is aligned. Seems to be too far back (forward behind the direction of travel). 2nd gear will grind if i'm not careful, and getting it out is a VERY difficult task requiring two hands!

My question is this...after removing the shift boot, there are two holes, each with a 10mm nut on top of a pretty thick washer. On the bolt under all this, there should be a bushing yes? I'm assuming it's #11 in this diagram, and it takes two, correct? The diagram only shows one.

Next, if/when I install this bushing around each of these bolts, how do I know where the correct position is? I feel like a part like this shouldn't require room for adjustment, and that there be only one position, but those bolts seem to have plenty of room to move.

Lastly...the carpet in the car is rather nice, and is glued firmly into place (likely original). Would REALLY like to avoid prying it open if possible, and wouldn't mind dropping the transmission if I need to. But do I need to do either?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image001.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	616889  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 08:00 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Dec 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No idea but coincidentally was just watching this vid clip, Kent would certainly know what you need. His shop/ store is mercedessource dot com.

Knowledge is Power When Buying a Broken Old Mercedes - 4 Speed W108 Example Shown - YouTube

Last edited by jmela; 10-24-2013 at 08:03 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 05:59 PM
BenzWorld Veteran
Date registered: Jan 2007
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
The bushing that holds the ball at the bottom of the shift lever is in two pieces, so you need two of #4 in the diagram. They are incorrectly called "rubber ring" and they fit in #10.

You should also get two of #11. These are the bushings that hold the rear end of #35, the two "pull rods."

Sorry, the carpet needs to come up for access.

Chuck Taylor
Falls Church VA
1998 SL500
1959 220S
1970 280SL
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 06:12 PM
Premium Member
Date registered: Nov 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
assuming all the plastic bushings are bad , you need 2 1112670083 2 1112670086 2 1119920310 1 1112680834 1 111268 09 34
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 1959 190, 1961 190SL, 1967 250SE 4Spd, 1968 220D 4spd
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
An Update: I've figured out how this thing works. Basically, there is a main shift column (#1 in photo) that's connected to a pair of bushings that sits on a yoke coming out of the trans (not pictured). Then, there are two adjustable linkages (#35) that are mounted on both sides of the transmission, and follow the main shift column and poke out of the two surrounding holes that anchor the whole things together to get crisp movement.

The interesting thing is that these linkages (#35) are adjustable. Why would they make these adjustable? I can't see how there would ever be more than one correct way to set it. But this is unimportant...the problem now is...the shifter feels terrific. In neutral, it feels like it should. First, no problem. Second gear, however, feels like there isn't much travel to get into, and once it's in...VERY VERY difficult to get out. Takes two hands, and the power required to get it out send it back to 1st instead of neutral! 3rd gear again is perfect, and 4th is fine, but not as good as 1/3.

Now, I feel like the problem lies in the aforementioned "support linkages". I'm going to try tomorrow to significantly shorten both, and see if it solves the problem, or to see if perhaps the problem becomes 1st and 3rd gear with an easy 2/4. Makes sense?

Will report back if this solves the issue.

Side note, while the car was on the lift, I blasted the area in the shift tunnel with air, and sooooo much old bushing remains flew out. lots! Recommend doing this anytime bushings are replaced (or new ones are installed where none were present before!)
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: