Havent posted anything since my introduction and wanted to update you guys on some of the issues I had with the car upon my first month of ownership. A BIG SHOUT OUT for all those who have taken the time to help me and suggest solutions along the way. Appreciate your time!
: Car would lose power going uphill
Solution: One choke was stuck closed- I removed both chokes
: Sticky accelerator pedal
Solution: Automatic choke lever was getting stuck on carburetor- removed link since chokes were removed (and since i live in FL and dont need chokes anymore)
: Dieseling- car would keep firing after I shut off ignition
Solution: A can of Seafoam and only using 93 octane gas has seemed to solve the solution. I probably had too much carbon that was glowing red and using low octane gas with a lower ignition temp caused the car to continue firing along.
: I got new carburetor KN filters that fit very nicely. I replaced the spark plugs (which were black from the choke being closed), the cap, rotor, and leads. I cleaned and greased the carbs, raised the idle a little and so far, knock on wood, the car is running great. I will have to replace the accelerator pumps soon. I assume this is the issue because when I press down on the accelerator they do not squirt any fuel into the carbs.
: I found a major problem with water leaks on the car. I had to address them before moving forward so I ripped the carpets up, took everything out and found the weak spots. Turned out the drain holes from the compartment under the grill in front of the windshield were blocked. The water would come into that location and overflow. Unfortunately thats where the heating or AC system would suck in air so the water would then go through the piping and empty out into the rear driver and passenger footwells. The Drainage plugs are located in the engine bay and are covered by two rubber flaps. The other weak spot was in the roof. The metal trim that runs along the sides of the roof had come off towards the rear of the car exposing 2-3 holes that lead straight to the interior headliner. Water would enter those holes and drop from the headliner down into the car. Plugged those and adhered the trim back the way it should be. Thankfully there was no rust or any sort of permenant damage from any of these water leaks. I assume the previous owner didnt take the car out in the rain much and I saw that he had stored the car in a garage.
Lastly I saw that the leather had come lose on the rear panels. I was able to tighten them up and use some of my upholstery skill to make them look pretty good again. Here are before and after pics.
: Right now I am taking things step by step/ Ive put things on a priority list so first of all was the motor. Its running just fine for now so next was the water issue. Once I fixed that, the new stereo wiring has to be run. Once thats done a false wall will be made in the trunk to hide the amplifier. A new carpet kit will be installed and I will dye the headliner black. I have been conditioning the leather seats and panels for about 4 days.
Once the interior is done, im moving onto AC or the suspension. This will be my first car to have an air ride suspension. They usually arent very cheap but most of the parts I can use for my next car should I want to ever go back to stock with this vehicle. Im all about being different and I believe this will be the first 250C with an air ride suspension. Have seen many sedans but no coupes with anything other than cut springs. On the AC I dont know whats wrong yet and havent really looked into it. All the lines and compressor and everything are there, probably just need to replace it all.