post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 1967 Mercedes-Benz 230 Sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Looking at a 1967 230

Hi - I'm new to this forum. Love it! My husband and I are looking at a 1967 230 sedan. I'm learning it's a W110 with a M180 engine. My husband did a compression test on it and came up with 70 - 75 on the second and fourth pistons. (sorry if my terminology isn't accurate). Is this bad? Looks like someone has done work on this car in the past and possibly didn't get it right. The head gaskets look as there had been work done. Maybe the timing chain. The top of the piston looks clean. The car turns over but won't start and so we cannot tell a whole lot about engine health. My husband is very experienced mechanically. We were wondering about part accessibility. What are best parts houses or websites for parts. I was wondering about chrome for sides under the doors. Are tires accessible? Someone replaced the mechanical fuel pump with an electrical, which we will need to change back to mechanical. The carbouretors will need work. We are wondering what type of offer we should give this guy. He doesn't know what it's worth. He got it in trade for work done. What kinds of things should we be on the look out for with this car? Any info will be appreciated. I have a huge fondness for this era and make. Thanks in advance, Kristiistiisti
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 03:31 PM
BenzWorld Veteran
Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 1981 300TD 310k--1966 230 165k--1970 280se 172k
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Well, I'll tell you what I know.

Compression should be around 145 psi with a max variation between cylinders of 23psi. Be sure that you cycle the engine at least 8 times to get an accurate reading. If your compression is low, squirt some oil into the affected cylinders and see if the reading comes up. That will tell you if the rings are worn. If not, it's probably the valves, valve clearance or cam timing.

How do know that the head gasket has been worked on? Do you have the head off? The look of the top of the pistons will really not tell you anything. The bottom end of this engine is pretty robust. The valve guides, seals, and adjustment posts usually wear out long before the bottom end does.

Maintenance parts are pretty available. Google the part and you'll get many options. Some parts that aren't easily found can be obtained from the Mercedes-Benz Classic Center. You are out of luck with any body or trim parts. You will have to find somebody selling them or if you are really lucky from a scrapyard. Ebay has some used parts.

The 13 inch tires are hard to find but are available and relatively expensive.

When I wanted to replace my mechanical fuel pump, I could not find a new unit that was satisfactory or even a rebuild kit. So I installed an electrical pump instead. It works fine, but is a little noisy. Also consider installing a Pertronix electronic ignition. Easy to install and cheap ($90). An excellent upgrade.

If you have the Zenith carburetors, be prepared for an expensive rebuild or if you do it yourself, a fairly complex job. Information is available for this procedure. Often the frozen heat risers or over-aggressive tightening cause the carb body to warp. You can tell the Zeniths if you have two nuts holding the plenum at the top of the carbs. If the carbs are badly warped, you can install a Weber conversion but will cost you around $700.

Rust is the most important problem. Service records are important. Tight front end, brakes, transmission shifting and overall condition of the interior play a part in value. Rubber parts (engine mounts, subframe mounts, trans mount, center driveshaft bearing, and swing axle bushings) are likely to need renewed if not recently done. Rear brake shoes are no longer available and will have to be relined if needed.

It's hard to determine value without detailed photos and mechanical information. Good examples (8 or 9 out of 10) are currently selling between $4000 and $5000 on ebay. The prices seem to be rising over the years.

The fact that the car is not running should be damning enough to get a substantial discount. No more than $1500 to $2000, I would say, if the rest of the car is decent.

These cars are very easy to work on, and if your husband is a good mechanic he should be able to solve any problems. I love this model and it's a great, stately ride.

The finnys are just too cool.

1981 300TD--310k miles
1970 280sel--172k miles
1966 230--162k miles
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 1967 Mercedes-Benz 230 Sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks so much for your response! Will be checking in on the forum again soon! Kristi
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: