Windshield replacement - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 07:22 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 1967 250S, twin Weber carbs, automatic trans, power windows, A/C, R134a conversion
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Man are you lucky. A great source of old MBZ parts is right there in Seattle. The place used to be located under the old Ranier brewery just off of I-5 and was associated with Benz-Frenz, an independent MB repair shop located nearby. The provide many a part for my 1967 250S sedan. Though its' been many years since I moved from Seattle, and I've heard that the brewery building was sold, I suggest that you call around for them as they may still be in the parts business. I've purchased fenders, chrome interior panel screws, starters, bumpers, etc. A real treasure trove! If still there, ask if you can walk around the basement area. OMG what a treasure of old MB's and parts you can never find.
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 07:54 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 2x 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
I agree, it's been 15 yrs since i moved from there, but there were great.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 08:31 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 1973 220D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So to get back to you original questions:

Originally Posted by LilyM2 View Post

So I want to know: 1. What is a "window brush?" 2. What are the "window channels?" 3. What id the "adhesive pad?" 4. Should any/all of these things be necessary to replace, when I replace the windshield?
1 - the "window brush" is the fuzzy bit that runs along the inside and outside bottom of the door windows. It is there to try to make the bottom of the window somewhat air tight. There is a similar brush along the sides of the sunroof if you have one.

2 - the "window channel" is a U shaped channel that fits along the sides and top of the door windows (the ones that open) - the windows slide up and down through the window channel.

3 - I'm not sure about the "adhesive pad" but I suspect it holds the bottom of the door windows.

4 - the windshield and the read window are held in place by rubber seals and they dry out and need to be replaced. The door windows have the window brush and the window channel these also age and need to be replaced but they are different jobs and do not need to be done at the same time.

Your windshield and rear window will leak when they get old and this can be a big problem as the water will dribble down under the carpet (where you might not even notice) but rust never sleeps… need I say more?

The windows on your doors have always leaked since they can move up and down and they will simply allow any water that enters the door to leak out through the bottom of the door to outside the car (so no problem). But you still want to replace the brush and channel because if they are worn leaves and twigs can get into your door and block up the holes in the bottom and more importantly the wind noise while your driving at high speed will be worse with worn ones.

If you do redo the doors you should also rebuild and lubricate the window regulators (the series of leavers and gears that move the window up and down). A used window regulator can cost you $300 but the rebuild kist are $15.

Good Luck,
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: