Need transmission for 115 mercedes 300d 1975 - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 12:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2008
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Wow you hate that color? I think you should sell it then.....that is a pretty rare color in the Mercedes world.....I would love to have that unique color then my faded silver metallic color...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 06:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Garage
Your car looks pretty nice actually. The orange is different, but I like it.

Power steering, turn the steering wheel full left and right a few time to remove air in system. fluid is probably foaming causing overflow. (when was the last time it was replaced?

Also you should replace all your brake fluid - MB says once per year. On older cars if you dont the brake cylinders rust and lock up and then cost a lot to replace.

Where is rad fluid leaking? replace all radiator and overflow caps, they wear out and lower pressure leading to overheat. check for collapsed hoses.

I think once you settle all your issues you will be satisfied with the car.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 300d
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
rumb: Im not sure where the rad fluid is coming from.. It only leaks after the engine has been on the highway for about 30 mins. I am getting it pressure tested later today.

As for the color, I love the interior and overall look of this car, except the color. I think I am going to get it painted Dark Green, but leave all the difficult places to reach (door jambs, under hood) Orange so that if someone wants to take it back to original color someday it wont be too hard. There are enough little flaws on the body that the car will definitely need new paint after the bodywork I plan to have done is completed. While I dont have a friend who is a skilled mercedes mechanic. I do have lots of friends who do very good auto-body work for me for the cost of materials..
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 11:21 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 1967 250S, twin Weber carbs, automatic trans, power windows, A/C, R134a conversion
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looks like the vehicle received a paint respray (the jambs needs a redo), new rotors, brake pads, and brake hoses; a new exhaust system, an interior redo, and chassis undercoating. A lot of work indeed but not sure about the mechanicals and electical. Unless you're doing the your own mechanical work it will get expensive. Most likely you will never recover the expense. You will have to love this car to keep it.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 12:15 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 1973 220D
I like the clot but I agree it is intense. To sell or not to sell...

Do you like this particular car - including the options that it has or does not have (no sunroof, power steering, fog lights, ...)?

How much is a new (quality rebuilt) transmission?

Realize on a car this old you will need to replace everything - but not right away maybe not for 10 or 20 years. So ask your mechanic if there is anything else that is looking sketchy. Engine, drive train, seats (I think your arm rest is broken - in the photo it has a downward angle and it should be more level).

If you love the car as is but in perfect repair then fix it. Everything can be fixed (almost everything -rust is particularly deadly) but it can be expensive. Still a new Mercedes would cost to at least 30k and might give you 10 years of trouble free service before it too would start to need major repairs. From where you sit now you could wind up with a really unique car as reliable for less.

If now that you know the car you think you'd rather have a different one - maybe a different year, color, sunroof, manual transmission, or a station wagon - then sell this one. But don't be put off by a new transmission they only need to be rebuilt once or twice over the life of the car.

Good luck - whatever you do

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Well to be honest I love the look and feel of this particular car. I especially love the foglights. If this car were British racing green it would be my dream car.

A quick question.. If I were to get this car painted, would I be better off leaving the doorjams and hard to reach places original? That way if someone wanted to restore it to original, they could just re-spray the exterior? The car needs new paint regardless, but if I'm going to do it I would only do the color I want.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 02:38 PM
BenzWorld Member

Great! Actually I agree it's a very nice car but not for everyone and you should have a car you love.

Get the price of quality paint jobs in your area (also get the list of all the repairs your mechanic might want to do - just so you know). I think a good quality paint job would run at least $4k more if there's rust to fix of if you want to replace odd bits of trim (any you really do want to have totally shiny trim to match that totally shiny new paint).

Also important is to replace the window seals and headliner during the repainting because you'll get better results with the paint and the headliner is easiest when the windows are out. Both those are cheap-ish.

Hubcaps, door jams, engine compartment, wheel wells - do them all if you can. Later you can do the seats and carpets - when they need it (I have my seats done from and back professionally for $2k).

And take lots of photos during the process and post them; we all want to se it.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 06:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Garage
Personally I think you are better off keeping the original color. It is a rather rare color. Repainting without the jambs is a waste of your money and deal killer when you sell. I think you will get good comments from others on that color and you will grow to appreciate it.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 11:21 AM
BenzWorld Member

You might keep the original color for a little while - it might grow on you especially after you get a few prices to change it.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
So I have decided to respray. My 300 is currently being prepped. Now I just have to decide between metallic vs. non metallic dark green. The original color I chose was jaguar racing green metallic, but now I can't decide if I should go the non-metallic route...

Thoughts? It's getting painted no matter what at this point..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in