post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 300d
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Cost of 5 glow-plugs for w115 300d 1975

Can anyone tell me what the cost of high quality replacement glow plugs for my 75 300d should cost? I am not interested in doing the upgrade, because I dont drive it in the winter.. I have finally found a VERY knowledgeable mercedes mechanic in my area, and he is telling me that a set of 5 will cost $200 does that sound right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 12:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2008
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Why don't you want to upgrade? No one uses the loop plugs anymore....

Then if you want the loop, then if they are working there is no reason to replace them......they either work or they don't....they don't wear or degrade....
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
They aren't working.. I just don't want to mess around with the upgrade.. I don't see a real need for it for my purposes.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 03:14 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 1973 220D
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Personally I agree with not upgrading unless there is a compelling reason to do it. In general I'd keep it stock.

Now for the price - $200 does sound reasonable if that's for the whole job. It's more than unscrewing and screwing in the new ones. You have to ream out the pre-glow chamber to remove the carbon that has undoubtedly built up in there. Being careful to remove as much as possible rather than pushing it into the cylinder. So $20 each times 5 is $100 and one hour of labor plus tax is your other 100.

Mercedessource.com has several videos showing how its done (they also sell the tools and glow plugs including the upgrade but that video is free). I think he charges about $20ea for glow plugs.

It does not matter if you have upgraded or not about clearing out the carbon - it still needs to be done or your new plugs will fail too soon.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I think he was saying that the Glow plugs were going to run 200 dollars, and the whole job would be $250. This mechanic is from Germany and believes in using original mercedes parts.. Idk if that might be the reason they are more..?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 05:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

5 glow plugs, plus new insulators..... $62.60

I know people are all against upgrading or replacing parts as preventive maintenance.....the number one reason why people upgrade to pencil besides the faster starting is that if one goes out, you can still start your car....as with the loop....if one goes out.....you lose all your glow plugs....thus you are stuck and paying for an expensive tow....

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...52@Glow%20Plug
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
How often do these loops styles usually burn out?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 06:16 PM
BenzWorld Member

OK - So I have owned my 1973 220d for 40 years and I have been unable to start it because of a bad glow plug once. Actually not even once since I did happen to have a volt meter and could tell which one was bad and then jump it with a jumper cable (just using one end I put the clip part over the whole thing so it was shorted) and the car started right up.

Failing glow plugs are not really a big issue (in my experience anyway) I do take my car to a MB Factory authorized service center and they will almost certainly use MB parts unless they are not available (highly unlikely) and they have certainly changed them proactively at some point, probably several times over the years. Yes this means I have spent several times the $6,800 the car cost new. And the fact the only time my car has not started was where I had left the lights on and twice I ran out of fuel makes it all worth while.

62.60 is their price (does not include shipping if any) - if you use the list price it's 144.00; maybe this mechanic is taking a markup on parts or is too busy to be bothered to order from anyone besides the MB dealer but does it matter? If the price is $200 or 250 - if the guy does good work and uses top quality parts then the question is - is it worth it to you? If it were me I'd do it - there have been times when I had less cash on hand and then I might try to change them myself using cheaper parts but that's not the me of today.

Good luck,
F
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 06:27 PM
BenzWorld Member

I said "I have been unable to start it because of a bad glow plug ..." and forgot to put in the text that they can sometimes fail but not be an open circuit. You car will start but run rough (you might not notice) and it is putting higher voltage on the others who might fail sooner - but if one has failed you should probably replace all of them unless they are new.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 08:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

FYI just because you go to a dealer does not mean they use Mercedes parts.....lots of discussions on here, about the parts from the dealer being just as bad quality as the ones from that site.....

The car will NOT start if one loop plug goes bad....because none of them will work.....if the engine is warm, warm outside or you have good compression....you can sometimes start the car with out the plugs....

Not sure how you jumped the plugs.....with cables.....loop plugs can not be tested or jumped by cables....they must run in series.....the wires between them are actually resistors.....

I commend you on still taking your car to the dealer, but at its age.....it's a total waste of money....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in