One headlight refuses to cooperate - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 05:51 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 1967 250SE (W108)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You can swap bulbs left/right to see if the problem moves. Let's you know if the bulb is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: '72 250C
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectLA View Post
I believe he already replaced the light no? It is possible of course that the new bulb is bad, it happens. Good call, Occam's Razor and all that.
correct, I did replace the light. Sealed beam. Im pretty sure its a short somewhere. I was also trying to wire my aux fan to a manual switch the other night. Found the left foglight wire. Thought I could wire it up with my foglight switch so I could control the fan from the cabin. Connected power wire from fan prong to the fog wire, there was a very small zap and my headlights went dim for a second. And now its back to the way it was when I first bought the car. High beams are on, both lights, no low beams. Dome light now works again when the stalk control is pulled towards the driver lol. So strange...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 12:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250Cmoneypit View Post
correct, I did replace the light. Sealed beam. Im pretty sure its a short somewhere. I was also trying to wire my aux fan to a manual switch the other night. Found the left foglight wire. Thought I could wire it up with my foglight switch so I could control the fan from the cabin. Connected power wire from fan prong to the fog wire, there was a very small zap and my headlights went dim for a second. And now its back to the way it was when I first bought the car. High beams are on, both lights, no low beams. Dome light now works again when the stalk control is pulled towards the driver lol. So strange...
With this new information I am pretty sure you opened a rift in the space-time continuum (it sounds like a "zap" as you described) and you are now simply back in time to when the bulb was originally functioning like that. I'm afraid you're now trapped in a loop and will repeat the last few days over and over and over.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: '72 250C
(Thread Starter)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 01:04 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectLA View Post
With this new information I am pretty sure you opened a rift in the space-time continuum (it sounds like a "zap" as you described) and you are now simply back in time to when the bulb was originally functioning like that. I'm afraid you're now trapped in a loop and will repeat the last few days over and over and over.
That's it. This thread can now wind down.

Well, well, well... Said the man looking at three holes in the ground full of water.

To wire up your aux fan, bear in mind that on old MBs they usually operate on a "switched-ground" principle. The positive is hot, usually only when ignition is on, but the negative to ground lead is switched by either an A/C relay or a temp switch on the engine somewhere. They close and complete a ground circuit to start the fan. Bear in mind that the startup current draw of the fan is higher than its running load, so if you are just touching wires, you very well may feel a zap as some arcing occurs.

Side note: car horns are also typically a switched-negative circuit, vs the "switch" or horn button being on the positive side of the system.

For the headlight, the person who suggested a test lead, logic and systematically tracking it down is on the right track... Poke, prod and trace, and it will sort itself out.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in