post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 1976 Mercedes 300D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
300d key

Ok I got a 76 300d the key works on the ignition and the doors but not on the glove box lid or trunk it seems to me I have a valet key it is a aftermarket key so it don't have the round blade or the square master blade end I work for a MB dealer I ordered a master key for it but it don't come cut as per MB they no longer come cut and I can't find a place to get it cut! Only option I have left is a locksmith but I'm not trying to spend a fortune on a damn key that doesn't have keyless entry lol what's your guys opinion? Do I have any other options?? Thanks for any input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 07:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2008
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Usually you take in your current registration and an Id, then the dealer sends a request for a new key to Germany and then they send a factory cut key....I got one for my old euro, the dealer said that since it's a euro he doesn't know if they could find one....but they did...

Maybe try the classic center?

Mercedes-Benz Classic Center | Mercedes-Benz
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljjay View Post
Usually you take in your current registration and an Id, then the dealer sends a request for a new key to Germany and then they send a factory cut key....I got one for my old euro, the dealer said that since it's a euro he doesn't know if they could find one....but they did...

Maybe try the classic center?

Mercedes-Benz Classic Center | Mercedes-Benz
Well I work at a dealer as a tech and I ordered it there and the key comes from Texas a blank old style key and they said it they don't cut them no more which makes no sense so if I loose all my keys I have to change my tumblers smh maybe the parts guy is giving me some BS smh
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 07:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2000 VW Golf Variant
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I got a cut key from MB.

The difference between valet and normal key is the profile of the key:

The left squarish key is the valet key. The Z-formed key is the normal key. The rest is the same for both keys, they are cut the same way.

So you need a Z-form key.

Other possibility is that the lock of the glove compartment was changed.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govert70227 View Post
I got a cut key from MB.

The difference between valet and normal key is the profile of the key:

The left squarish key is the valet key. The Z-formed key is the normal key. The rest is the same for both keys, they are cut the same way.

So you need a Z-form key.

Other possibility is that the lock of the glove compartment was changed.
The locks weren't changed cuz the trunk one won't turn also and the original owner said they never did but did loose the original key which I'm sure is the master key I also got info from my parts dept they weren't processing keys for a day or 2 which was when I ordered it but I placed another order for a master key let's see what happens hopefully a new master cut key comes in
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Ok so after getting the master key cut from Germany it still won't open the trunk or glove box the key goes in perfect but won't turn side to side so I'm stuck and hit a wall pretty much there's not a emergency release cable for the trunk??
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 09:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2000 VW Golf Variant
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The trunk can be opened from underneath, there are some plates that can be removed. There is a thread about it.

Alternative is to drill a hole at a specific place behind the number plate, that will give access to the lock mechanism

The key does work in the ignition? That means that the ignition lock is original, but the glove compartment and trunk lock aren't, that is a bit strange. Or there is too much dirt in the lock. Maybe a blast of lock oil, WD-40 or brake cleaner will free the lock.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govert70227 View Post
The trunk can be opened from underneath, there are some plates that can be removed. There is a thread about it.

Alternative is to drill a hole at a specific place behind the number plate, that will give access to the lock mechanism

The key does work in the ignition? That means that the ignition lock is original, but the glove compartment and trunk lock aren't, that is a bit strange. Or there is too much dirt in the lock. Maybe a blast of lock oil, WD-40 or brake cleaner will free the lock.
Yea it is strange the goes in smooth on glove lock and trunk but won't turn for some reason maybe if I hit it with WD40 maybe it will free it gonna try this tomorrow cuz I don't see why someone would change the glove box lock it looks original but that one is actually open I don't mind that one is the trunk that gets me cuz I can't get to the spare or check the vacuum tank cuz I have a leak in the lock system that I want to fix since I just did the vacuum pump and now the car actually shuts off lol
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 12:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2008
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
What way is the key slot on the trunk facing? This way | or this way --- ....

I haven't figured out how to lock my glove box, like you....if I stick the key in, it won't turn....but if I slide it over the key will turn.....so it maybe only the trunk that was changed..
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljjay View Post
What way is the key slot on the trunk facing? This way | or this way --- ....

I haven't figured out how to lock my glove box, like you....if I stick the key in, it won't turn....but if I slide it over the key will turn.....so it maybe only the trunk that was changed..
Well I finally figured it out with my master key and some lubricant I got it open thank god lol had to turn it pretty hard but it game and pop it opened no problem same for the glove box yours will lock if the key slot is facing up and down not horizontal also make sure the lock pawl is on the rear of the key tumbler which is what keeps it locked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in