LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 1979 mercedes benz 300td wagon w123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
And my car will start in gear, as long as clutch is depressed...any gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 06:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
you don't need a neutral safety switch. This just prevents you from engaging the starter when an automatic transmission is in gear. If you don't have one, you don't need to install one either.

Prior to buying a new starter, I'd suggest taking the old one to an auto parts store and have it checked for free. You can do the same thing with a battery charger.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 08:43 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
invest $ 10 in a digital voltmeter , connect to battery see what is the voltage without any load , then turn key on , glow plugs will lower this voltage , then crank and see if it goes down more , report with those 3 voltage numbers . bad starter that when hot wont crank is common on diesels .it just go click . if you unplug the glow plugs from the relay , you remove a large load , it gives more power to starter .
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
how and where do I unplug the glow plugs from the relay? I am supposed to take the kids to the outer banks NC, in two days...money saved, all plans made...is there a way I can bypass the starter/solenoid to start the car, besides popstarting it? (just in case im in a place w/no room to push car) I don't have the $$ now (or the time) to put in a new starter, or even take it off to check it...are there any wires I can touch to start the car, and where would they be? What do they look like? how do I do it? THANKYOU
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 01:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2008
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Did this problem begin when the mechanic installed the toggle switch for the reverse lights? When you do a manual conversion...the nss has to be bypassed...
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 01:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2013
Vehicle: Monika '74 450SL and her lil sis BrownHilda '79 280SL
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
There should be a junction box on the fender or near the battery where the wire from the starter is connected. Trace the wires from the starter up and you should see it. If you jump the big wire to the little one it should spin the starter. I used to use insulated needle nose pliers to spin my starter when the ignition switch went on my 300SDL.
I am used to a factory W1126 , not a modified W123, so I am taking an educated guess here...
Can somebody with a W123 Diesel chime in?
If jumping the starter works 100% of the time, you could have a failing ignition switch in the dashboard. That is what I had...

Also, when you move the car a few feet, is the clutch engaged? When you have the starting issue does the starter spin but not engage? If the answer is yes to both, you could be missing some teeth on the flywheel and just be lucky enough to hit that spot on occasion. If moving the car with it in gear helps, then you are probably moving the flywheel past the bad teeth and then the starter can spin the flywheel. Just a thought...

Current:
Reggie 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
Monika '74 450 SL
BrownHilda '79 280 SL ex-Zender
Scarlett 2014 Jeep Cherokee 4wd
FoxyCleopatra '99 Chevy Suburban
Krystal 2004 Volvo S60
Gone:
Rudolf ‘86 300SDL
Bruno '81 300SD
Fritzi '84 BMW
'06 Volvo S60 AWD turbo
'97 Jeep GC
'96 Volvo 960
'96 Impala SS
'92 Subaru Legacy wagon
'74 Jeep CJ5
'71 Buick GS conv
'67 GTO conv
'63 Corvair conv
'57 Nomad
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
no, the problem existed before he installed the toggle switch, although it has progressively gotten worse/more frequent. It started this morning, and I haven't been able to get it to start again since...even pushed it for like 300ft to engage the fly wheel and still nothing..always worked before. I have it up on jack stands now to go underneath and see if a connection is loose. I took off the negative terminal for the battery...I am assuming I should do this so I don't get shocked or something. wish one of you benzheads lived nearby...what a joy that would be!
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JN74SL View Post
There should be a junction box on the fender or near the battery where the wire from the starter is connected. Trace the wires from the starter up and you should see it. If you jump the big wire to the little one it should spin the starter. I used to use insulated needle nose pliers to spin my starter when the ignition switch went on my 300SDL.
I am used to a factory W1126 , not a modified W123, so I am taking an educated guess here...
If jumping the starter works 100% of the time, you could have a failing ignition switch in the dashboard. That is what I had...

Also, when you move the car a few feet, is the clutch engaged? When you have the starting issue does the starter spin but not engage? If the answer is yes to both, you could be missing some teeth on the flywheel and just be lucky enough to hit that spot on occasion. If moving the car with it in gear helps, then you are probably moving the flywheel past the bad teeth and then the starter can spin the flywheel. Just a thought...
When I push the car, I have it in neutral...no one in car on clutch...too heavy to push in gear, although I could try it and see. Thank you SO MUCH for the wire info...I am going out now to try it. I just hate the thought of telling 4 little kids we are not going on trip!!
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 02:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2013
Vehicle: Monika '74 450SL and her lil sis BrownHilda '79 280SL
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by muralart612 View Post
no, the problem existed before he installed the toggle switch, although it has progressively gotten worse/more frequent. It started this morning, and I haven't been able to get it to start again since...even pushed it for like 300ft to engage the fly wheel and still nothing..always worked before. I have it up on jack stands now to go underneath and see if a connection is loose. I took off the negative terminal for the battery...I am assuming I should do this so I don't get shocked or something. wish one of you benzheads lived nearby...what a joy that would be!
Just looked and you are 100 miles from me...

Check this thread, there are guys near you
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126...phia-area.html

Current:
Reggie 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
Monika '74 450 SL
BrownHilda '79 280 SL ex-Zender
Scarlett 2014 Jeep Cherokee 4wd
FoxyCleopatra '99 Chevy Suburban
Krystal 2004 Volvo S60
Gone:
Rudolf ‘86 300SDL
Bruno '81 300SD
Fritzi '84 BMW
'06 Volvo S60 AWD turbo
'97 Jeep GC
'96 Volvo 960
'96 Impala SS
'92 Subaru Legacy wagon
'74 Jeep CJ5
'71 Buick GS conv
'67 GTO conv
'63 Corvair conv
'57 Nomad
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JN74SL View Post

btw, what do I use to touch the wires together...do I undo the wires and actually touch them together, or do I use like a screwdriver or something as a bridge between them? is that what you meant by "spin the starter with needle nose pliers" ? and I quess I need to hook the battery back up for this, right? Sorry to sound so uneducated with this...I am pretty ignorant of this stuff and I don't want to mess anything up. I get under there and everything looks the same!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in