post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1969 Mercedes 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
E15 Bad for older cars?

Just read the article linked below and was looking for opinions if the government requires all gasoline to have 15% ethanol. What are our choices? Thanks.

DailyTech - Supreme Court Kills E15 Protest, Greenlights Lower MPG, Destroyed Engines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 06:54 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
Hmmmm, interesting read. My 108 gets 11-12 MPG combined highway/town. Will I be getting 4-5 with this new gas?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 07:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 2x 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah, I read newspaper this morning saying they now "allow: E15 and "no proof it does harm". Then later this morning Hemmings article about how bad it is and that it is the road to E30 next.

I wish newspapers would actually report the news....
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 06:32 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: 1989 560 SL - Signal Red & Palomino; 2011 C-300 - Black on Black 4MATIC
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
E-10 has long been directly linked to issues in both autos and small engines, marine engines. etc. - it is obvously harmful; why is aviation is excused from this nonsense - at the end of the day no matter which side you are the facts speak for themselves and the USG won't force it in avgas as they cannot have that kind of safety risk. E-15 being forced in the way the article describes will be nothing short of a nightmare for all of the above.

One can read a tremendous amount of information on Ethanol on the AACA forums. Glad to see AACA finaly took a stand against Ethanol, as E-10 has been causing issues with carburated cars for a couple of years, E-15 will likely force more than a few off the road, or greatly limit their roadability at best.

Great article, which illustrates how the current administration, in conjunction with a very powerful lobby for big farming, and the green extremists have come together to jam a very poor, ineffective solution down the throats of the public. If this had no impact why would manufacturers of autos and other engines band together to fight it? Trying to straddle the line of not going too political here as that is for OT, I guess, but this is an issue vintage owners should educate themselves on, our window to fight this is closing quickly, and current administration could not care less about hobbyists or other people using small engines, marine, etc. To me, this is the biggest threat to the future of the collector car hobby and will do next to nothing for overall energy conservation/green initiatives if that keeps you up nights.

1989 Mercedes 560 SL
1930 Ford A Roadster
1914 Ford T Speedster

Last edited by OldWorldShepherds; 06-26-2013 at 06:34 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 12:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
E15 is bad for newer cars too.

I had to have the fuel pump assembly in my Crown Vic replaced because I let the car sit too long.

Near Manassas Va. '65 220S, 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, '99 Volvo V70, '72 350SL 4 speed

Not part of the in-crowd since 1952. It's BRAKES not breaks. You break a bone, use brakes to stop your car. /rant

http://www.megamanual.com/index.html
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in