LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 02:12 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2013
Vehicle: 1961 190SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LWB250 and Grubeguy,

Thanks for explaining the iconic value of Mercedes cars and explaining that the hellish service procedures of the 190SL are not widespread. How the 190SL could actually have enthusiastic fans is beyond me unless they all have such deep pockets that service costs are simply irrelevant. On the International 190SL forum the members seemed absolutely delighted that the dealer price for a brake booster had been reduced from $7500 to $3750. No, those numbers are not typos.

Ray W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 04:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Garage
Ray, You either love them or you dont. To each there own, but I cringe when an older classic MB doesn't have original equipment. Your resale value will tank, but if that's what you want, then go right ahead.

Merhaps you trade 190SL for a nice R129 SL500, it will cost you way less and your wife can just start driving it now.

M130 is a simple engine. Get a good book, take it apart and find a good hot rod engine building shop to do the machine work. (or if you want have them build up the short block. - that is what I did with the OLD 409 in my Trans Am. They really know what they are doing and the price was realistic)
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 07:26 PM
BenzWorld Member

"Ray, You either love them or you dont."

Rumb, I hate it. Today I installed the master cylinder after replacing the internal rubber cup. How long should that take? About 15 minutes, max, right? It took longer than that just to bend the ends of the pedal clevis pin cotter key. It is completely inaccessible and can be reached only with pliers. Bending cotter key ends should be accomplished in a few seconds, not 1/2 hour of lying upside down trying to work on a piece you can barely see.

Lucky for me my wife was told by everyone who ever worked on this car that they also hate it and to never to bring it back. It is a filthy POS. In the undercarriage area every surface is covered with greasy road grime. I have never seen so many zerks on one vehicle and every grease containing cavity is simply oozing the stuff. It's also dripping oil from the engine, transmission and diff. After getting under it I look like a Pennsylvania coal miner and my hands are literally black.

Fortunately my committment is to "Get it running" and once the brakes are perfectly functional and the engine will run, no matter how feebly, I'm done.

"To each there own, but I cringe when an older classic MB doesn't have original equipment. Your resale value will tank, but if that's what you want, then go right ahead."

I agree with you totally on that. I know there are people who really like these cars and will pay a lot for them. I think Laura has forgotten how underpowered and ill handling it is compared to her modern Honda and will encounter somebody while driving around in it who make her an offer she can't refuse.

I would never contemplate an engine swap into this car for a number of reasons, not the least of which is how filthy it is due to all the oil and grease leaks. At my age (68), getting covered in grease does not seem like a good time, especially when I have 2 immaculately clean toys, a '32 Ford roadster street rod and a restored '36 Chevy pickup.

"Merhaps you trade 190SL for a nice R129 SL500, it will cost you way less and your wife can just start driving it now."

For reasons I'll never understand she's attached to this car.

"M130 is a simple engine. Get a good book, take it apart and find a good hot rod engine building shop to do the machine work. (or if you want have them build up the short block. - that is what I did with the OLD 409 in my Trans Am. They really know what they are doing and the price was realistic)"

You swapped a Chevy 409 into a Pontiac? I can't think of any reason to not do that. It's probably a 4-speed, right? I still remember Hayden Proffit campaigning a 409 in the days of the Ramchargers and the Melrose Missile. I still get goose bumps thinking about those 12 second super stocks of 50 years ago.

Ray W
post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 08:04 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 87 560SL, 71 280SL euro, 74 VW Ghia, 78 280Z Black Pearl, 78 280Z, 04 Corolla, 07 Odyssey, 94 Prizm
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If you are looking for a used M130 engine, I have one from in my 280SL, although the stamp on the head says 280SE/A. It is fuel injection, but the injection pump is missing. This engine is relatively simple, but it will work well when everything is in specs, especially the clearances. I also have the automatic transmission. This car was passed down to me in pieces and am thinking of completely modifying the 71 280SL. The engine turns by hand and is not locked up. Only the water pump is locked up, but that part is cheaply replaceable at is costs about 40 bucks rebuilt originally from Mercedes at your local dealer. I am still not sure what I want to do to the engine and tranny for this or do an engine swap since sooo many parts are missing on the car, especially wiring harnesses, trims, and too many things. It is also very rotten with rust and it will cost too much to restore. send me a pm to see what you would like to do. Cheers!
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 07:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Garage
oops should have said Old 403 (is now a 409 with larger Keith Black pistons) and yes the Old's engine was standard in the TransAm. TH350 3 spd.

"You swapped a Chevy 409 into a Pontiac? I can't think of any reason to not do that. It's probably a 4-speed, right? I still remember Hayden Proffit campaigning a 409 in the days of the Ramchargers and the Melrose Missile. I still get goose bumps thinking about those 12 second super stocks of 50 years ago."
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 09:50 AM
BenzWorld Member

"TH350 3 spd."

If you ever get the urge to have overdrive in that car a GM 2004R fits without any driveshaft modification where a TH350 was. The trans mount has to be moved rearward about 6". The convertor lockup feature of the 2004R is nice too, holding ATF temperature down. From what I've read cool ATF improves friction component and seal longetivity.

In fact the 2004R might make a fine transmission for older Mercedes. A friend of mine put one in a 1962 Avanti and he really likes it. He also discovered that a Cadillac intake manifold fits perfectly on the Studebaker engine, increasing his choices of carburetors.

Ray W
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 10:03 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 90 350SDL, 98 S420, 97 SL500, 94 S420, past owner of W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140 & W220 cars
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldbaum View Post
LWB250 and Grubeguy,

Thanks for explaining the iconic value of Mercedes cars and explaining that the hellish service procedures of the 190SL are not widespread. How the 190SL could actually have enthusiastic fans is beyond me unless they all have such deep pockets that service costs are simply irrelevant. On the International 190SL forum the members seemed absolutely delighted that the dealer price for a brake booster had been reduced from $7500 to $3750. No, those numbers are not typos.

Ray W
The 190s are like the 600s - many of the parts are now unobtanium, and those that aren't are priced astronomically. That's why anyone I ever speak with who shows an interest in restoring or rebuilding one of these older cars I do my best to convince them to spend the money up front and buy a completely restored example. There is no cheap way to do it.

I have the Classic Center's eBay site in my favorites. Any time I feel that parts for my W140 are getting expensive, I just take a look at the stuff the Classic Center has for sale and I feel a lot better....

I seriously considered buying a 190SL back in the late 90s. When I started doing some research I found out what a nightmare they can be to service, not to mention that many on the market at the time had been poorly repaired in the body pans where they typically rust out. I moved on to later models at that point.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in