W108 - 280 SEL 4,5 1972: Need instructions remove A6 version AC compressor. - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
W108 - 280 SEL 4,5 1972: Need instructions remove A6 version AC compressor.

I have a 280 SEL 4,5 with a A6 version, the long and heavy type. When trying to fill the system with R12 some years ago, the compressor didnt start compressing the system when it should. Guess there is a way to check whats the reason it wont run? Clutch? I havent removed the belt yet.

I have bought a OE Rebulit Complete with Clutch; A6 Version. Which steps should I take to remove it? And also put the new one inside. My Haynes book doesnt explain how to do it.

Hope someone have the steps/instructions to remove it or can give me a link or something.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 03:35 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2013
Vehicle: 1961 190SL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
280SEL 4.5,

If nobody else chimes in I have a couple of Chevrolet factory service manuals that cover the A6 compressor. I could summarize the R & R instructions for you.

The compressor clutch doesn't engage until refrigerant pressure reaches a minimum required to trip a pressure switch.

Are you going to convert to R134? Some compressors are shipped without oil and oil has to be added before installation. R12 and R134 refrigerants and their oils cannot be mixed. If the system has been run on R12 up to this point and you intend to use R134 refrigerant and its required oil a thorough system flush will be required.

From warranty information I have seen, AC compressor warrantys require that other new parts besides the compressor be installed at the same time as the new compressor to maintain the warranty.

I became interested in AC in 1991 when I retrofitted a 1971 Dodge van that I bought new with AC from boneyard parts. Since then I also retrofitted a 1978 El Camino and a 1988 Sentra, also with boneyard parts. Those are all R12 systems and I still have the van and the El Camino.

AC is really very simple but it does require attention to details like making sure all connections are absolutely leak free and thorough vacuuming at a minimum of 26 inches of vacuum to remove all air and water vapor before charging and to verify that no leaks exist. If you do all that it will shoot icicles.

Ray W
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
it s not that easy , you need to remove the compressor together with the bracket , remove fan , power sterring pump to make room .you may have another problem that keeps compressor from coming on .i would fix that first .
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Summarize

Yes I wil be glad for a summarize. I am not going to convert, only install the new A6 version compressor if I dont get the old to work. I hope the work is not too big I am not sure when I get time to start check the clutch.

thanks Ray W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldbaum View Post
280SEL 4.5,

If nobody else chimes in I have a couple of Chevrolet factory service manuals that cover the A6 compressor. I could summarize the R & R instructions for you.

The compressor clutch doesn't engage until refrigerant pressure reaches a minimum required to trip a pressure switch.

Are you going to convert to R134? Some compressors are shipped without oil and oil has to be added before installation. R12 and R134 refrigerants and their oils cannot be mixed. If the system has been run on R12 up to this point and you intend to use R134 refrigerant and its required oil a thorough system flush will be required.

From warranty information I have seen, AC compressor warrantys require that other new parts besides the compressor be installed at the same time as the new compressor to maintain the warranty.

I became interested in AC in 1991 when I retrofitted a 1971 Dodge van that I bought new with AC from boneyard parts. Since then I also retrofitted a 1978 El Camino and a 1988 Sentra, also with boneyard parts. Those are all R12 systems and I still have the van and the El Camino.

AC is really very simple but it does require attention to details like making sure all connections are absolutely leak free and thorough vacuuming at a minimum of 26 inches of vacuum to remove all air and water vapor before charging and to verify that no leaks exist. If you do all that it will shoot icicles.

Ray W
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Seems like a pretty big job. Could it be something like the clutch have got stuck or something or the compressor itself is broke? Is there a way to check if compressor and clutch is ok? Taking of belt and twist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agillot View Post
it s not that easy , you need to remove the compressor together with the bracket , remove fan , power sterring pump to make room .you may have another problem that keeps compressor from coming on .i would fix that first .
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 04:15 PM
BenzWorld Member

"Yes I wil be glad for a summarize. I am not going to convert, only install the new A6 version compressor if I dont get the old to work. I hope the work is not too big I am not sure when I get time to start check the clutch."

When you're ready to start let me know and I'll summarize the information in the Chevy service manuals I have. I have installed a couple of those compressors but that was about 15 years ago. As I recall there is information about oil level checking, vacuuming and charging with refrigerant. You will need refrigerant, oil, a vacuum pump capable of at least 26 inches at sea level, a manifold gauge set and a scale to measure the quantity of refrigerant added if you use a bulk cylinder and the system does not have a sight glass.

Also essential is data concerning the quantity of refrigerant your system requires. Too low a charge and too high a charge both cause problems.

"thanks Ray W"

You are very welcome.

Ray W
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/11883/PROGRAM/Climate/83-522.pdf

I was thinking using this for the 107-chassis as an guideline to the work

http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/o...ate/83-522.pdf

The installing with gas R12 I will let a climate firm do

If i manage to complete the work. I hope the new AC compressor have the neccesary washers etc included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldbaum View Post
"Yes I wil be glad for a summarize. I am not going to convert, only install the new A6 version compressor if I dont get the old to work. I hope the work is not too big I am not sure when I get time to start check the clutch."

When you're ready to start let me know and I'll summarize the information in the Chevy service manuals I have. I have installed a couple of those compressors but that was about 15 years ago. As I recall there is information about oil level checking, vacuuming and charging with refrigerant. You will need refrigerant, oil, a vacuum pump capable of at least 26 inches at sea level, a manifold gauge set and a scale to measure the quantity of refrigerant added if you use a bulk cylinder and the system does not have a sight glass.

Also essential is data concerning the quantity of refrigerant your system requires. Too low a charge and too high a charge both cause problems.

"thanks Ray W"

You are very welcome.

Ray W
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 06:48 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 300sel W109, 280S 70 , 220s 62. 230 66. Lancia Flavia 63.Pininfarina
My spare 3.5 engine has one fitted .It is a massive compressor for the 109 A/c.
Wonder if there is modern ND replacement for it .

Comparatively i like the smaller compact ND unit in my 126 300se.
Ad

Ad
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 08:18 AM
BenzWorld Member

Ad,

The A6 is certainly a big boy. There is one on my '78 El Camino. It's hardly the clunkiest of compressors. I think the RV2 on my 1971 Dodge van gets that honor. IOt looks like a Harley engine. Its virtue is that the crankshaft seal in in a plate that is easily removable for seal replacement without removing the compressor from the vehicle.

Any car guy with minimal fabrication skills can adapt on a more modern and compact compressor. He'd have to fabricate a mount and probably have the hoses modified.

If I didn't already have a stash of R12 left over from the dayse when it was inexpensive I would also convert to R134 because it simply costs a lot less.

Ray W
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Premium Member
use 134a when you swap compressor , not doing so is dumb .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in