post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 1970 280 sel, 1979 300sd, 1988 300sel
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
w108 Hydropneumatic Compensator Removal

So I want to revisit the Hydropneumatic Compensator on a w108. I want to try to understand the lowering of the w108 rear. I drove around with a collapsed Hydro-Comp and my w108's rear was slammed. Why was my w108 riding so low? When the hydro-comp is completely collapsed why arent the upright suspension springs holding the car up. I know that there are 2 ways to achieve the lowering of the w108 rear, one is thru the compensator and the other thru the vertical suspension springs. Does this mean that if I cut the upright(vertical) springs and completely cut them down I would collapse that area enough to wear the rear can longer go down. So the same goes for the horizontal hydropneumatic compensator, if I completely collapse the compensator to a point that it can no longer travel then the w108 rear reaches its maximum or limit for traveling any further. This means that if I have the horizontal spring, instead of the hydro-comp, I could cut a few coils there and then cut a few coils off the vertical springs and continue to do so until when? I know that it would be pointless to cut coils off the vertical coils and do this while having the hydro-comp installed. The hydro-comp would pump itself up and want to return to the original height regardless of how many vertical coils are cut. This would then mean that to lower the rear I have to reinstall the horizontal spring and remove the hydro-comp so that when cutting the vertical coils the horizontal spring would compress only and not pump the rear back up which would result in the rear of the car dropping.
Now where is the harm in driving with a completely collapsed hydropneumatic compensator? Is the suspension or spring operation at this point shot? Is it then best to keep some horizontal spring tension and vertical spring tension so as to keep some bounce in the rear? I thought I had a visual of how the suspension works but I think I need to be educated a little more. PLEASE ADVISE

It would seem that driving with a completely collapsed hydro-comp stresses the wheel bearings and all the other parts and my best option on lowering the rear would be to cut a few vertical suspension coils while having the complete horizontal spring installed.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 05:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 2x 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
The Compensator wears out and becomes non functioning. Most everyone replaces it with a spring. Rebuilt compensators are expensive and dont last.

The 2 vert springs and the horz one work together to maintain the correct suspension and alignment of the axles.

with your worn out compensator your rear wheels will be spayed out at an angle. this of course will cause tire wear and looks weird.

google "lowering mercedes w108" and you will find others that have lowered your car.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: