post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2013
Vehicle: 1961 190SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Pelican Parts

In freshening up the brakes on my wife's 190SL it's been possible to find Raybestos front wheel cylinder kits and USA made (EIS) rear wheel cylinder rubber cups and an EIS master cylinder kit originally specified for a 1939-48 Ford that, incredibly, fits the 1 1/16" master cylinder.

The rubber hoses are another matter. Apparently "bubble flare" compatible rubber hoses are not so easy to match. It seems that Pelican Parts has them. Have any of you bought from Pelican Parts and what was that like? Is the stuff from an industrialized country in North America or Western Europe or from some third world country. The Pelican Parts hoses are advertised as ATE but I want to make sure they are the real thing, not knockoffs.

My quest is to find quality brake hoses because with this single hydraulic system any failure anywhere can result in complete braking loss.

Incidently, that differential in the foreground of the picture is from my restored 1936 Chevy pickup, the first year for hydraulic brakes in any Chevrolet. That primitive Chevy brake system is vastly easier to service than the 190SL brakes. For example, accessing the inner flare nut of the right front brake hose required removal of the intake air plenum that attaches to the carburetors and then a heat shield on the wheel well adjacent to the exhaust header. The right rear rubber brake hose is, likewise, a bear to access.

My wife told me while we were trying to figure out some of these access challenges that when my mother in law owned this car it generally had to be taken to a MB dealer for routine service because independent repair shops simply refused to work on it. I'm told that it rarely came back from the dealer with a bill of less than $1K so I can at least feel good about that part of the do-it-myself efforts.

As soon as the brakes are ship shape we'll try firing it up after being garaged for 20+ years.

Ray W
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	190SL sm..JPG
Views:	73
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	517404  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 01:23 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 1972 280se 4.5
I have used pelican a few times and find them quite satisfactory.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 10:55 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 1996 W210 E320 ELEGANCE, 1972 W108 280SE 3.5, 1969 W108 280S, 1971 300SEL 3.5
They are my "go to" people and have been for a few years, when I was going through my BMW E30 phase and when buying parts for my W210 and lately for my W108 and 109 cars.

The service has been great and the parts are as described, ie, if the part is listed as a Febi, ATE, Bilstein or Genuine Mercedes, it is just that.

For example, I needed a new radiator for a W210 E420 for a friend, I got the correct part number for the part and priced it locally in Melbourne Australia and I was quoted $1100 AUD plus GST (sales tax), the same part number, landed (via FedEx) and a genuine Hella part, ended up costing me $480 AUD and less than a week to get to me.

I could got on but it is safe to say they are my first port of call to price stuff up. Lately I have also been using another company in the US called ECS Tuning, as long as you have a part number it's easy to find parts and the pricing is very competitive but their shipping costs are high in comparison.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by GANSTA; 05-26-2013 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 11:12 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
They are common hoses, available from any number of parts vendors, including some that support this forum. I'm quite certain Pelican supports its own forum.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2013
Vehicle: 1961 190SL
(Thread Starter)
GANSTA and GermanStar,

Thank you for that encouragement. Oddly, our 190SL is supposed to use the same length hoses at both front wheels but the right front hose is too short and has actually bent the hard line at the right front backing plate because it pulls so tight at full steering lock. We're lucky the end of the hose did not pull off. The left front OEM hose is a perfect fit.

Perhaps there was some production variability in 1961. It's said that American cars built on Mondays can show that kind of deviation from specifications.

Thanks again for your responses.

Ray W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in