BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 1979 450SL, 1985 Porsche 911 Targa
Location: Portland, OR
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Found another possible W108 project...need opinions
The search for a W108 project continues....
Found another car through a friend.. here's what I know:
1. One owner car, son now owns it, it was his father's...spent whole life in PacNW...central Oregon. Full service history from new, maintained by local mechanic here in Portland until about two years ago.
2. 1972 280SE 4.5 white with blue interior, floor shift auto, sunroof. Paint faded and cracking, one small spot of surface rust. No major cancer on rest of car, in wheel arches or any of the usual places, some surface rust in trunk, but no holes. Front seats ok, back seat ripped...most likely all seats need replacing. Headliner looks ok but needs cleaning. All trim and chrome good and straight.
3. Car has not been driven hardly at all in 18 months since his mother passed, son starts it up and drives it once and a while around the block...it turned over but did not start when I saw it, battery was dead. Fan worked, electrics seemed to work for a moment. There are signs of recently replaced hoses, etc. that show there was someone looking out for the car relatively recently.
4. In last 18 months it has been sitting outside...now has wonderful collection of dirt, green crap and what appears to be the start of some mold on the door panels...carpets are dry and in very good condition. Wood on doors bad, dash wood ok, some cracks here and there....one crack on top of dashboard.
5. Engine bay very dirty and full of tree seeds, pine needles, definitely some oil leaks here and there.
Bottom line: the son is not a car guy, but doesn't want to see it get worse and wants to know what I can do with it....he works for my neighbor who knows I have a sickness for tinkering with old Euro cars... I told him it's probably worth $1000 to $1500 as is....deciding what I want to do. Guy is in no rush and has given me first right of refusal....
What do you W108 guys think is a decent price to offer? The car is not too far gone, but is on the cusp of becoming a parts car if not rescued soon.