LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: May 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1992 500 sl soft top problem

My girlfriends 1992 500 sl convertible top won't go back up, meaning closed, from the storage compartment. The top was working fine, open and close, but when she put the top down there was a red light flashing on the control switch for the top. She said a warning bell sounded when she put the car into gear. I tryed to put the top down further by pushing back on the switch, I heard some clicking in the front window area and the light went out. I assumed this resolved the problem and apperently she didn't hold the switch quite long enough for the top to fully close. When I tryed to raise or close the top it didn't go up and the red light started to flash again. So I tryed to close the top a little further and it didn't click in the front window and nothing moved. I had to turn off the key and then turn it back on, this allowed the flashing red switch to go out and I did hear the clicking in the front window again. The top appears stuck and it seems to want to open when the switch clears. I checked the hydraulic resouvior and it is full to the max line. Does anyone have a suggestion
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 11:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 2x 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Hi, head over to the R129 forum. The top and all of it's problems are discussed there in detail. There will be many there that can help you.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: