post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: May 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Heater Core

Hi everyone.
I am new here and this probably has already been covered some where. But I could not find it.
I have a 1972 350sl and I need a new heater core. They say mine is not fixable.
Does anyone know where I can get one? I am not big on buying one used unseen and then maybe not being able to have that one fixed either.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1975 450SL
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Are you sitting down? Is your seat belt securely tightend and your helmet on? The heater core for a 107 is a dealership only item. Then there is the installation: The dash and center console have to be entirely removed, along with opening the climate control box under there. There are also a bunch of vacuum control pods that should be replaced while you are in there. The seats also have to be taken out to get to the components. The flat rate for a heater core only is 13 hours labor at a shop that knows what it is doing on this particular car.

As a point of hope, are you sure that the problem is the heater core? There is a valve and hose that feed the core that went bad on my car, leaking from the valve. For a while I bypassed the heater core, running a piece of heater hose from the connections at the back of the engine. IF you don't need the heater, it is a lot less than a core and replacement.

Another thing; you might want to go over to the 107 forum here.

R/C107 SL/SLC Class - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

A very active forum with a lot of very helpful people.

Good luck,

Remember: It's not just a car. It's an Adventure.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 06:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 2x 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Have you taken the core to a radiator shop? My W108 core was leaking ever so slightly and I took it to a rad shop and they said couldn't fix it, Then I took it to another shop I have used before and he called the other shop (there are only 2 rad shops in my town) then tanked it and did a 5 minute solder on it and it was good to go. He didnt even charge me.

Not sure if 107 is like 108, but make sure you find the correct orings for the heater valves.

And yes it was an adventure to remove entire dash to get at, but also refinished all the wood and replaced heater levers.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: