post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1967 Fintail 230S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
M-B Special Tools Needed

As I try to get my Fintail in better driving condition, I realize that I need special tools to tackle some of the routine jobs. I am looking to rent or purchase a used valve spring compressor tool for the old L6 engine (M180). Does anyone have this tool available?

Also, I want to remove the pinion nut on the W108 rear end I intend to put under the car. Is it possible to cut slots in the correct size socket to fit that nut? Has anyone done this, or has the correct socket for rent or sale? What's the size of that nut?

I only intend to do these jobs once, so I don't want to invest a lot in these "once in a lifetime" tools. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 09:12 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2013
Vehicle: 1961 190SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Coolvibes,

I'm a newbie and know nothing about MB in general and only a tiny bit about my wife's 190sl. However I've been an amateur mechanic for over 50 years and the solution to your quests should not be too difficult.

I am learning, however, about the quirks of these cars. For example I just found that in order to change the fan belt the engine had to be raised about 1/4" because the harmonic balancer is too close to the front cross member.

A valve spring compressor is a generic, very common tool. Here in California some auto parts stores loan them for a deposit equal to the value of the tool. They are probably abundant on ebay also for less than you would expect to rent one for.

If the nut you wish to remove is large, in the large metric sizes there is often an inch wrench that is very close. Again, I know next to nothing about MB but whenever I've removed a differential pinion nut to replace the seal I've first marked its exact position on the pinion so it can be put back exactly as I found it.

Some have a minimum required torque, often over 200 ft.-lbs. I've made an extender for my 1/2" drive torque wrench that both doubles the torque and adapts on 3/4" drive sockets. If a photo of that would be helpful I'd be glad to send one if you give me an email address to use. Mine is rwaldbaum@aol.com.

I'm not a "purist" and I've found that the alleged need for a "special tool" is often an exaggeration used to discourage people from the do-it-yourself approach.

Ray W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in