1975 Mercedes 240D for my first Mercedes? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2013
1975 Mercedes 240D for my first Mercedes?

Hi,

I've always wanted to have a vintage Mercedes. I just saw a 1975 Mercedes 240D. The seller says it is running and driving well. The paint looks good as well. I have not yet see the interior, but should be decent as well. What area should I pay attention to when I see and test drive? And what would be a reasonable price for a driving 1975 240D? The price is affordable to me, but it is always better to negotiate lol.

Another question is that since I've never own a Mercedes and I always hear people say it costs tons of money to own a Mercedes etc. Is it really true? Does it really cost that much to own a vintage Mercedes as well? What will the maintenance and parts cost usually?

Thanks for the help! I'll post pictures once I make it mine
DaLamPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2013
Vehicle: MONIKA my 1974 450 SL - 207K the other woman
my two cents...

It all depends on how much work you want to do yourself.

Here are some pointers...

1) Ask for service records - these are key
2) Check the glow plugs. If you see one thick wavy wire going from plug to plug, you have the old in-series plugs. You should have them changed out to the newer in -parallel wired plugs and relay. These have individual wires going to each plug - sort of like the spark plug wires in a gas engine.
3) Check for rust - Floor Pans, Rocker panels, around the headlights, etc
4) start the engine when it is cold. In other words if the seller has "warmed it up for you" it probably has a cold starting issue - could be the glow plugs, valve timing or loss of compression...
5) These cars are NOT going to be fast as this is a four cylinder non-turbo. I THINK it has something like 57 HP. If it is an automatic it will be slow - glacially slow.
6) If it has been running veggie oil and has not had a decent conversion - heated fuel lines, two tanks for starting on regular Diesel fuel, etc - run away

The good thing is that these are fairly simple cars and can be very reliable - I mean this one is 38 year old and has not been parted out...

If you want to get dirty and do things yourself these can be very fun to work on. I look at my old Mercedes as therapy

This forum has loads of searchable information and lots of good people who are willing to listen and help

Best of luck!
FoxyCleopatra '99 Chevy Suburban 202K mi
Krystal 2004 Volvo S60 120K mi
Gone:
Annika 2006 Volvo S80 2.5T AWD 104K mi
'74 Jeep CJ5 23000 original mi
'97 Jeep ZJ Laredo 390K mi
Rudolf 86 300SDL -378K
Bruno '81 300SD -260K
Fritzi '84 BMW 283K
'92 Subaru 283K mi
'96 Impala SS
'71 Buick GS conv
'67 GTO conv
'63 Corvair conv
'57 Nomad
JN74SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 1978 & 1982 300D
Send a message via Yahoo to cooljjay
The w115 body style 240d's require a lot more messy work then the w123 in my opinion....

Remember are favorite saying "There is no such thing as a cheap Mercedes"

If you can work on cars yourself, you'll love a vintage diesel.....if your use to paying someone else to do the work.....you'll soon be pointing a shot gun at the car.
cooljjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

I'm actually not a very mechanical person, but that's something I'm willing to learn since I love vintage cars!
Old 05-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLamPa View Post
I'm actually not a very mechanical person, but that's something I'm willing to learn since I love vintage cars!
Where are you located and how cheap is cheap?

Since your not mechanical inclined, its hard for us to tell to what to look for....I would suggest taking a lot of photos and underneath too....and posting a link to the album so we can point out a few things.

Is there any records with the car? These cars only have a 5 digit odometer so its hard to tell actually miles...

Also take a video of it running and post it, that way we could hear what it sounds like.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Premium Member
if the car is mechanicly in good shape , with no problems , it would be the cheapest car to own .on the other hand , if it is a car with a tired engine , and trans , i would pass .those in the days where great cars , i still drive a 73 220d [ similar ] a standard trans would be better .[ more pep ], but the 240 d will cruise at 65 all day longt .
agillot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

I live in Seattle.
Here is the Craigslist ad:
1975 MERCEDES 240D

I contacted the seller yesterday and he told me that it has very little rust. Some works done: new paint(bright yellow!), new engine tranny(auto tranny), new floor mats, "converted to old vacum system for the windows to electric style and installed a 24 volt starting system."

I'm still waiting for him to send me more pictures.

Do you think this car is a good deal?
Old 05-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Given that bright yellow paint I'd say it is a recent repaint. I'd bring a magnet to make sure it isn't full of bondo. New paint can hide all sorts of sins. The price seems a little high unless the car is really, really nice.
Arthur Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Agree the price seems high unless he has a lot of work done on the car....the floors rott out of these really fast too....if its a automatic....it is to much coin....no mention of miles either....also be aware changing the oil in this model is a real big pita and it is a 2 piece filter....you also have to drain and add oil or oel into the injection pump....plus the air filter is an oil bath style...
Old 05-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: 1970 Mercedes 220D
I love my 220D, it is a 1970 manual transmission, no PS, no radio! NOTHING. But, you do need to have patience and time to search parts for the older W115 since they are becoming a rare breed. I used to have a 1976 240d, automatic and car was great, it was a bit slow off the line but a cruiser. Personally, the W115 is a better car than the W123 since in my opinion, the car was built better. I owned a few W123, including a wagon and I was not satisfied on the overall quality of the car. Mind you, still a great car, but not as classy. Overall, the 240D is a great car and yes, they are great cars as long as you can work on the car yourself since many mechanics that work on Mercedes are not as savvy on the older Mercedes as opposed to the newer and may overcharge or misdiagnose a problem.
My 220D is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz