post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1967 Fintail 230S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Fintail Valve Adjustment Problem

I would like to adjust the valves on my 2.3L 6 cyl W110 Fintail, but I am not sure what size spanner / wrench to use. 13 mm or 1/2 inch is too small, and 14 mm or 9/16 inch is a little loose. Am I using the correct size open end wrench? The manual says to turn the nut, but it seems very tight, and I don't want to round it up. Is there a special tool or trick to doing this? It doesn't seem to have a lock nut.

thanks much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 09:06 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
14 mm , at time , adjuster ball screws are too tight , in this case , you remove the rocker arm , and use a 6 point deep socket to crack them loose .
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
thanks Agillot. does that mean removing the camshaft first, then the rockers, and then loosening the adjuster ball screws? reassemble everything, then adjust the valves? Can the
Rocker arms be removed with the cam in place?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 08:07 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 300sel W109, 280S 70 , 220s 62. 230 66. Lancia Flavia 63.Pininfarina
All can be removed without removing the camshaft , depress the valve spring to remove the rocker arm /follower . turn the adjusting nut using a socket ,its clockwise to increase/loosen clearance reinstall and check clearance /lash.
Normally the nut will turn easily after the initial tight movement. Use crowfoot wrench for better access.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Adler. Anyone has a valve compressor tool for a M180 engine for sale or rent?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 09:39 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2013
Vehicle: 1961 190SL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Coolvibes,

Just for fun I checked ebay and valve spring compressors are abundant and inexpensive. You can even remove valve springs with the head in place. Just be really sure to have the piston at TDC and something like string filling the combustion chamber so you don't drop the valve. Some people hold the valve closed with compressed air but that seems risky to me.

Ray W
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 08:12 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

valve adjustment

The thread was for valve adjustment and issues including removing the follower in case there is adjustment problem .No further remocval of spring is required here

Adler

Just for fun I checked ebay and valve spring compressors are abundant and inexpensive. You can even remove valve springs with the head in place. Just be really sure to have the piston at TDC and something like string filling the combustion chamber so you don't drop the valve. Some people hold the valve closed with compressed air but that seems risky to me.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 09:19 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2013
Vehicle: 1961 190SL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Opps, sorry Adler. When I saw this "Anyone has a valve compressor tool for a M180 engine for sale or rent?" i incorrectly thought it was about compressing valve springs to remove a defective or broken one or to replace something else.

I'm from the hot rod and race car building culture of Southern California where all kinds of special tools have been created and are in use. An example is valve spring compressors that can be used with the head(s) in place when time does not allow head removal to do that job.

Getting into the mechanicals of a Mercedes for the first time, my wife's 190SL, I'm finding one design feature after another that shows the vast difference between American and MB automotive engineering criteria. My only prior German car experience was with a '64 VW Bug that I ran for slightly over 300,000 miles, a supremely simple and durable vehicle.

Ray W
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 09:54 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Waldbaum
Very correct! You are one of the few persons to correctly mention this variation in German and American engineering of the period.
i am sure you will also find similarity between Italian and German automotive technology too.
Well my first hands on experience with the fintails goes back 45 years .I quite enjoy working on the ones i own

Incidentally I am restoring my Lancia Flavia coupe vintage 1962 .Beautifully styled by Pininfarina ,suburb build quality and engineering of the era.Front wheel drive ,A flat four water cooled engine.. whisper quiet with a compliant ride !
Adlar

Last edited by adler; 05-17-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in