Was thinking of buying a 220D? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 08:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1972 220 D, 1974 450SL, 1995 E300D 2002 S430, 1976 300D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Benzwulf, pester the guy and get him to sell the car to you. I loved my 220D. An auto is a bit of a slug compared to the four speed. These are not race cars, but are very strong and incredible daily drivers that are simple to keep on the road. The nice thing about them (though expensive) is that many of the parts are the same as those used in the R107, so you can rebuild suspension, find brake parts, and a bunch of other parts remain available.

The cars are also not going to be collector cars, so have fun putting one back together. I used remnant carpet to replace the dead stuff in my ride. Rattle can paint spiffed up the interior from basic black to a nice sable. Having anything other than Maaco paint may be a waste of cash. No need for special tires, just get the basic 14" rubber since you will never get above 82mph and the car is not overly heavy.

These do have rust issues. Trunk, cabin and front fenders. Cabin and trunk are due to the windscreen seals failing. Also poor trunk seal and tail lamp seals. As long as you have nothing larger than pinholes, you can sand to metal and POR-15 the trunk as well as the floor pans. Some firewall issues can take place if excessive leakage up front, when the blower fan box starts to leak.

Fenders are an issue due to the accumulation of mud and dirt behind the cover. It sits there very wet and rusts from the inside out. The repair is fairly simple, as you just cut out the hole, then weld a patch on. Do not use bondo, that just makes it worse.

The biggest issue you may encounter is the blower fan is dead. Without that you have no way to defog windscreen. These cars are build around the blower motor. Factory hangs the motor, then bolts everything else to it. 20 hours shop time to fix, and the fan is Unobtranium, or $700.
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2013
Vehicle: 1984 Mercedes 300CD Grey, Mileage unkown
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
yea the guy told me it was his brothers car and that he loved old mercedes.
I do need to follow up on the old car. Its super clean with black plates.
If you pester people some then it looks like your desperate. then you usually dont get a good deal.

Its still there. I will keep inquiring about it! thanks for re kindling inspiration redghost!
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: