LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
74 240D Cutting Out Uphill After Running Great

OK so Ive had my 74 240d for a while now and its been a great car Ive driven it to shows and on trips everywhere since Ive owned it. As far as other 240ds are mine has always been quick-ish. For some reason though the last maybe 10 times Ive driven the car it will run great for anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple hours hwy time and then all of the sudden Ill start to go uphill or hit a flat slanting upwards and itll start hesitating and cutting out. Eventually if I keep driving it, it will keep getting worse and worse till I can only go about 20mph or the car will cut off uphill. I can cut the car off for 5 mins and fire it right back up and it will run good for a while, then start the same thing over again. Im kinda stumped on this. I was thinking either a clogged fuel filter or maybe the tank vent is plugged causing a vapor lock? Anyone else run across this and have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 06:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
These were very nearly my exact symptoms and it turned out to be the screen in the fuel tank. We had previously changed every fuel filter and eliminated other fuel considerations. It seemed like the crud would wash out and it would work again for a bit, then after driving a while it would happen again, until it eventually cut out altogether.
Did you happen to use a fuel system cleaner recently? That is what made all the crap inside my fuel tank loosen up in the first place, but simple age can do this too. If you do find that you have lots of fine particles then you may as well have the tank cleaned and sealed inside to get rid of the rusting that's likely happening (water in modern ethanol accelerates this).

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Nope no cleaners used recently. Its diesel so no ethanol gas here haha. Although I have been burning a lot of crap so maybe Ill drop the tank this weekend and clean it out.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 03:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
You don't need to drop the tank unless you're going to really give it a thorough clean and inspection, the screen should be accessible on it's own. This is for a W123 diesel but maybe your car is similar enough that it's useful:
Episode 1: Changing the Fuel Tank Strainer on a Mercedes Diesel - YouTube
and another where he describes your symptoms right from the start and shows you how to make a simple took for removal. At the 3:30 mark he explains the earlier car type screen fitment:
http://youtu.be/QCUGMZiFys0

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra

Last edited by DirectLA; 05-01-2013 at 03:10 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
^Thanks for the links man! Im just gonna pull the screen and depending, guess Ill either drop the tank or not. I havent dropped it since Ive owned the car so im kinda curious to see how bad it is inside.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
to test , [ takes some practice ] , but if you use the prime pump handle , and pump for some time , like 20 sec , at a good clip , if the tank screen is plugged , when you reach the up stroke , the handle will want to snap back down due to the vacuum created .assuming the plastic prefilter is clean .on the other hand if the main filter is dirty , the handle will become hard to push down . when you replace the main filter , always fill it first .
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Well pulled my filter screen out of the tank today at work...and guess what.....it was like brand new! My diesel was clean as a pin too! So I filtered it, put the screen back in and refilled the car. Drove it down the road and it started cutting out again so I picked up a primary and secondary fuel filter while on my lunch break, and changed em at work.....On the way home today she ran like a champ. Pretty sure that was the deal.

I cut the old secondary filter (canister type) in half and it was definitely full of crap. Also it was completely paper instead of the newly made metal inner and outer filters, so no telling how long its been in the car haha. Im gonna say its fixed for now! Cant wait to put some miles on her this weekend and make sure!

Thanks everyone for the info should have known it would be this simple haha.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 05:25 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 1967 250SE (W108)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Congrats on fixing your problem. It's always nice to see people post the solution so the next guy can learn from it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 08:40 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes Benz 250
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Glad it was an easy fix. I'm not sure if it would work with diesel fuel, but on my M130 I installed a clear plastic inline fuel filter, so that visually I can inspect it every time that I open the hood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02791.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	512936  

Last edited by Luna Gaudi's 72 250; 05-03-2013 at 08:51 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Yeah thats my primary filter...secondary is the stock canister filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in