BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 1988 560sl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Just got a 1967 230 - What to do first?

Brining it home today

Plan on changing oil, fuel filters, and air filter.

Anything else?

The water pump is making some noise, so I will replace it, anything else I should do while in there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 12:42 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1971 280SE 3.5 Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
This is probably obvious but anything rubber (suspension, engine mounts, fuel lines, brake hoses, coolant hoses) should be replaced if you want a safe, relaible car. Also all fluids (transmission, diff, brake, coolant)should be change. that's if you don't have any service history. Many times these cars were driven without any maint so it probably has not been done. I don't know about timing chain and guides on the 6's but that is the first thing changed on a no history V8.

Tony
280SE 3.5 Coupe
Stick shift
3.27 Axle
5.6 Iron block build in progress
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 2004 E500 4Matic Wagon, 1980 450SLC, '94 SL500
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Premium Member
Garage
We are 4 months into owning our '67 230S. We plan on doing some rallying so we had to make sure everything was good from the start. All I can say is drive it awhile and be sensitive to its needs because depending how much it was driven before (ours was idle for years), it will have plenty.

I think we are on the downward slope of things to be done. The last unexpected project was changing the bushings in the steering column to prevent the horn from beeping when you shift into 3rd. An obscure, unpredictable thing but the repair made all the difference in how the shifter feels. We rebuilt the suspension, brakes and fuel system (front to back). We need to repair the dash light rheostat (a bitch) and keep the heater from heating. We think we have a reliable driver now and that cost us about $6,000 in repairs to achieve! We love it.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 05:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 2x 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Garage
Take pictures and post them. How many miles? - Congrats!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Dash shows 50,000. Got restored in 2005 with a brand new crate motor from MB - only 2-3,000 miles since then. Going to clean fuel tank, filters and lines.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 05:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Glad you won this one, it sure looked great. Once you do the basics you mentioned already and you have established the tires are ok to drive on, brakes work, etc., get out and drive it for a bit to shake it down and see what's needed. I drove mine for a few hundred miles before taking it into the shop since doing so made all the little things appear that needed tended to. Funny thing is with my car every time I had something major fixed it got a little bit quieter, greasing the suspension cut out the creaks, new exhaust made her quieter running, fuel adjustments smoothed her out so there were less rattles, so every time I was amazed by how modern the car was, it got even better!

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectLA View Post
Glad you won this one, it sure looked great. Once you do the basics you mentioned already and you have established the tires are ok to drive on, brakes work, etc., get out and drive it for a bit to shake it down and see what's needed. I drove mine for a few hundred miles before taking it into the shop since doing so made all the little things appear that needed tended to. Funny thing is with my car every time I had something major fixed it got a little bit quieter, greasing the suspension cut out the creaks, new exhaust made her quieter running, fuel adjustments smoothed her out so there were less rattles, so every time I was amazed by how modern the car was, it got even better!

The car is AMAZINGGGGGG.

I thought my 71 28sel was clean, this car is immaculate. Now to clean the fuel tank, and lines.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 02:10 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Check the ball joints, tie rods for safety.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 06:08 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
You know, something else comes to mind - if you plan to replace the water pump, get some coolant system cleaner and de-gunkafy your engine innards. My water pump began to leak a few months back and I put the stuff in, knowing I'd replace the pump soon. The amount of crap, scale and junk that I removed was considerable. I ended up replacing all coolant twice, just to get everything out.

And then I replaced the pump and thermostat at the same time. And another round of coolant too, now that I think of it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in