W114 Carbs\engine problem - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 08:12 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2007
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
What planet?

The Zeniths are fine carburetors, but they suffer from warping because of excess heat from the exhaust manifolds. This is caused by the flaps in the heat riser mechanism sticking in the open position, rather than closing as the engine warms up.

Once the warping, usually of the top plates, occurs it is nearly impossible to get the carbs to work right. The warping causes air leaks which cause high idle and backfiring on acceleration. The attempted fix is overtightening of the screws that hold the top plate to the carb body, which generally makes things worse.

In this situation, the only way to get the car to run right is to find a set of un-warped carbs, or go the Weber route.

I have owned five 250Cs and worked on many others. I have spent a lot of time ajdusting Zeniths and trying to fix their air leaks. I will say that the best running 250 I encountered had Webers.

Chuck Taylor
Falls Church VA
1998 SL500
1959 220S
1970 280SL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 08:51 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 300sel W109, 280S 70 , 220s 62. 230 66. Lancia Flavia 63.Pininfarina
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Chuck
Very correct ,also happens with a overheated engine.
i had the carb surfaces done on a CNC machine and it took care of the warped top plates.
post #13 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 06:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 90 350SDL, 98 S420, 97 SL500, 94 S420, past owner of W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140 & W220 cars
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adler View Post
Chuck
Very correct ,also happens with a overheated engine.
i had the carb surfaces done on a CNC machine and it took care of the warped top plates.
Exactly. I did this on a W108 I had with the M130 and dual Zeniths. Worked like new and was far less expensive than replacing them with something else.

First thing you want to do on this setup is make sure the heat riser flap is working properly.

Dan
post #14 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 08:57 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
i am looking at the pictures of cam shaft , i notice that some cams are shinny all around , this indicate of tight valves , with a cam pointed upward , you should feel some looseness at the rocker arm , if it feel solid , you need to loosen / adjust .4 th on int and 7 th on exh
post #15 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 1971 250C
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I take the intake is on the right and exit on the left looking from the front? I got the tool today and will check.
How do I check of the heat riser flap is working properly?
Thank you

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #16 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 01:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 90 350SDL, 98 S420, 97 SL500, 94 S420, past owner of W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140 & W220 cars
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
I'm doing this from memory, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong....

Both manifolds are on the right side (passenger) of the car. They are sort of "intertwined" with each other, but under the carb will be the intake plenum, or area where the carb base is located.

Directly under the plenum is a square area of equal size that is a part of the exhaust manifold. If you look at this closely, you'll see a shaft projecting out of it with a flat wound coil spring, sort of like the spring you see in an automatic choke housing.

On the opposite end of the shaft is a weight that moves against a pin that projects out of the casting. This is a stop for the movement of the shaft.

You should be able to turn the shaft freely, with it only turning a partial rotation in either direction.

If you split the manifolds you would see a flap that the shaft goes through. This allows exhaust gasses to heat up the plenum underneath the carb, warming the incoming air/fuel mixture before it goes into the cylinders.

If the shaft is frozen in place, the flap is either open (heating the plenum at all times) or closed (not heating the plenum at all.)

You can grab the shaft with a pair of pliers or ViceGrips and see if you can move it, but don't get your hopes up. Best thing short of separating the manifolds to get to it is to soak both sides of the manifold where the shaft projects out with some good penetrating lubricant and let it soak.

Dan
post #17 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 01:46 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2013
Vehicle: 1964 Unimog 406, 1967 230S Fintail.
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All
I would suggest that if you had a carb problem you would have a problem with either cyls 1,2 and 3 or 4,5 and 6 rather than the pattern you have, have you made certain that you have not crossed some wires although it would be either two or four cylinders that would be effected I suppose, also have you carried out a compression test?
post #18 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
I have confirmed the cables are correctly connected with a working car

i have checked for the flaps and here are my findings:
The second from the front moves freely and the spring was out, i touched it and came out. i don't know which is open, which is closed position but moves freely.
i will need a spring for that one.
The first from the front is missing the spring too and it is solid stuck, i can't move it at all. i have sprayed some penetrating oil and will try again.
I can confidently say that these have been in this state for a long time due to the rust on both.

my questions are:
how is the plate affecting the working of the engine?
since this is not working as designed how do i fix it? is there a flap spring kit?
few pictures.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0993[1].jpg
Views:	449
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	511337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0991[1].jpg
Views:	125
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	511338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0988[1].jpg
Views:	161
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	511341  

Last edited by kavadarci; 04-24-2013 at 05:48 PM.
post #19 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
I also found this picture (this is not from my car).
if you look on each side of the weights they have these stopers that stop the weights at that position. Mine are broken and don't stop there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_3335_med.jpeg
Views:	226
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	511355  
post #20 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 07:37 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes Benz 250
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
When I was working on mine back in August of 2012, I too noticed on mine that the one on the left (see arrow on photo)
the spring was broken and it moved freeley. It is still broken and the one on the right is pretty tight and it doesnt move
if I try to push it by hand. With my engine running and idling, I move the one that is broken on the left and I don't hear
or notice any difference to the engine. I always wondered what that thing was and what it did. The condition that it is in now,
the car is still running really good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Exhaust manifold 02.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	511364  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in