W108 Starter motor sticking a bit - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: Mercedes Benz W108 - 280 SE (1970) / Mercedes-Benz W123 200T (1983)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
W108 Starter motor sticking a bit

Ah jeeze, been making a lot of threads lately. Guess I should just make a combined one at some point. Anyways,

We just returned the 280 SE from winter storage. Started up with no trouble, other than a bit of a lumpy idle when cold, as the CSV unit is leaking. Anyways nothing unusual. We drive about 200 meters until we get to the petrol station, shut it off, fill it up, add the additive and start it up again.

However the starter motor was playing games and decided to stick on with the engine spooling up. This obviously made a weird noise and made the idle screw around, so we shut it off within 5 seconds. Then we gave it a short 10 second rest and fired it up again with no trouble. Guess we've started it up about 4-5 times no with absolutely no trouble.

Was the solenoid just sticking a bit because of the car not being used for 5½ months (it had been fired up every now and then, but only short to be moved around in the winter storage)? I'm willing to pay for a new starter motor, however if it's just a one-off situation, then I'm not too frightened.

EDIT: Read a bit about the starter motor in my service manual, seems like it has a freewheel to stop the starter motor from going up to the high RPM's together with the engine. Is this true? Would give me a bit more confidence in the car, if I knew even if it did stuck on for a couple seconds, it wouldn't damage the flywheel (a lot). Obviously going to get a new starter if it's getting occurrent. Also worth pointing out that the starter motor did turn off when the engine was turned off too, so it wasn't the power to the starter motor going bonkers. Just seems like it stuck a bit.

Last edited by Jackpody; 04-05-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 01:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hi, have you seen this thread? http://www.benzworld.org/forums/vint...sengaging.html

My starter was sticking (didn't want to turn on, it was sticking closed not open) and it also did it only when it was cold outside. It could be from sitting, gummed up a bit, you can take it off and clean it, but as was suggested in the other thread for the relative inexpensiveness of the part you may prefer peace of mind, just depends on your willingness to spend the cash. Good luck.

BTW, I think you're doing it right posting individual threads, that actually makes it easier for everybody if you keep each separate issue in it's own thread, people search these things years after the fact and trust me, it's appreciated.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Ah, right. And thanks for the thread, I'll make sure to read it.
Am I doing horrible damage to the car by starting it and hoping for it not to stick? I mean it has never happened before, but if it happens again and there's a huge chance of something going wrong, I'm obviously not going to start it before I've mounted a new starter motor / solenoid. As said in OP, I've heard that it has a freewheel so that the starter motor will only go so fast that it can keep up, without being directly hooked up to the engines flywheel (so that it doesn't actually hang onto the engine and destroy the starter).

Might be worth saying that it wasn't cold but definitely not warm either. Guess it was about 11-15 degrees celsius (in the sun) when we started it. First start after half a year went smooth, then it stuck at second start. Oh well, I'll hope for it to be a one-off situation and not something that'll occur again. If it does, I'm just going to replace the starter. Seems like an easy job.

EDIT: Ah, I've read that thread and that's not my problem. Mine doesn't keep being powered, it just sticks with the engine even though the starter motor is turned off (stuck solenoid?). Just means you can hear that the engine has a lot of friction (problems idling) and a loud screeching noise. We obviously shut it off at once and waited a bit before starting it again, so there were hopefully no damage made to either starter or flywheel. And it had no problems turning off either when the ignition was closed, however I'm not sure if that's because I have electronic ignition in my 280 SE, compared to the original system.

Last edited by Jackpody; 04-05-2013 at 01:31 PM.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 11:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Anything can happen once, but I'm inclined to repair something if it recurs just to spare the possibility of damage to something else, or more importantly getting stuck somewhere at an inconvenient time, even if you believe it's unlikely. I don't mind gambling for fun, but not with my cars. If it happens again, clearly that's a problem of some sort, tho starters tend to last a while even once they begin to exhibit these sticking problems, but of course you never know when it will give up the ghost. Cleaning won't hurt, but I'm not so sure this will remedy the issue, just keep an eye on it and do what feels right to you and what you can justify as an expense.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks and absolutely. If it happens just one more time, I'll get a new starter motor. Should be able to fit in the driveway.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in