Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: 1967 250 SL, 1963 220Sb
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumb View Post
I was reading about how confusing it is to select heat or cold. Seems to center around the vacuum switch and turning it all the way to determine which to use.
In a nutshell, the car has two fans and two air pathways. The A/C temp knob is doing two things, one of which is actuating a vacuum switch (and the other is adjusting the coldness, which isn't relevant for this conversation - heat is adjusted with the heat levers). When the temp know is ALL the way off, the vacuum of the system a) moves a flap and b) switches the fan control to control the heater fan instead of the AC fan. When the temp is anything BUT all the way off, the system b) moves the flap the other direction and b) switches the fan control to control the A/C fan instead of the heater fan.

This is something you can't test in a car that isn't running, or at least in a car that doesn't have vacuum.

Currently: 1967 250 SL, 1963 220Sb, 1965 300SE Lang, 1971 280SE parts car, 1972 Alfa GTV, 1965 Alfa Duetto, 1993 BMW R100R
Past: 1971 250 C, 1985 300 TD, 1967 250 S, 1968 280 S,1981 300 D, 1982 280CE, 3 Facel Vegas, Borgward Isabella Coupe, Alfa 2600 Sprint, Volvo P1900 (yes), numerous less interesting Volvos, ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: 1967 250 SL, 1963 220Sb
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Might me crazy, but about to buy a 1971 250.

First good news: body is nearly rust free! only a small rust spot behind each rear wheel. hood needs repaint. Interior is pretty good, need a good scrub, only small wear on door seals.
If you are saying the rubber around the doors is in good condition, that is unusual and good news. Check the rubber around front and rear windshields. This is a common source of water leaking.
Quote:
bad news: blown head gasket, weber carbs, current has messed with ignition, and carbs to the point it wont start. may have heater core issue, some A/C issue.
Heater core and heater motor are labor-intensive. Blown head gasket - I can't say. Weber carbs are a pricey upgrade to the generally-disliked solex carbs. If the car cranks and won't start, will it start on starting fluid? The weber carbs have an electronic idle jet control. There should be a wire leading to both carbs (NOT the wire leading to the thermostats, but could T off of those). If the car won't start or immediately dies, take your test probe and see if the wires leading to the idle jet control is getting power when the key is in the on position. If it's not, you have a blown fuse to fix and then try starting it. The idle jet control just turns off the gas to the idle jet when the car is off so it doesn't try to keep running. But if the fuse is blown it will never idle or run, unless you mess with the carbs enough to get it to try to idle off of something other than the idle jet.

side note: my 1971 250C (which has 2.8, not 2.5 motor) has Petronix electronic ignition which fries if you leave the key in the ON position for an hour without starting the car. Yup, that cost me $100 to learn...

So to reiterate, there should be FOUR wires going to the carbs - two to the chokes, two to the idle jets. It can be one wire run in series to all 4 connectors. The wire is always hot if the car is in the on position. Check this first.

Quote:
seller is moving next weekend and needs to get rid of. currently at $800.
Intent is to fix and sell. will prob take me 6 months. nothing on the to do list that I have not done before. Worst case sell parts.....
In general buying a 250 sedan to flip is a money-loser. If you believe this one to be extremely well maintained then maybe it would work, or maybe it's just for the fun of it. Keep in mind that you can buy a good driver (in California) for $2000, maybe $3000-$4000 for excellent with working AC.

Currently: 1967 250 SL, 1963 220Sb, 1965 300SE Lang, 1971 280SE parts car, 1972 Alfa GTV, 1965 Alfa Duetto, 1993 BMW R100R
Past: 1971 250 C, 1985 300 TD, 1967 250 S, 1968 280 S,1981 300 D, 1982 280CE, 3 Facel Vegas, Borgward Isabella Coupe, Alfa 2600 Sprint, Volvo P1900 (yes), numerous less interesting Volvos, ...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 11:39 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1972 Model 280 CE manual - RH drive

Is it at all possible there is one of these beauties out there waiting for restoration ??? or in reasonably good nick needing some TLC ???
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 05:43 AM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan waldren View Post
Is it at all possible there is one of these beauties out there waiting for restoration ??? or in reasonably good nick needing some TLC ???

Thread resurrection?

I assume you are saying you have decided to seek out one of these cars. They are great fun and quite inexpensive fun if you are willing to do all the work (and learning) yourself.

It is often that forum members will help you find one, but since location is critical, please fill out your profile. (I happen to be in the process of dumping two project coupe w114, which I believe are slightly more rare and perceived as more valuable.)

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in