LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tune-up / chasing oil leaks

Hello everybody, I am trying to get my 220d back into daily driver condition. its a pretty good running car but it has its issues. im hoping a few of you can help me with these issues.

fist off it has a pretty bad oil leak. i have cleaned it and had it on stand multiple times but it doesn't leak too bad when im just idling. its after my 25 mile commute and i park it that an hour later when i come out to check on it that there is a puddle of oil on the drivers side. i have also noticed a couple time a spray pattern of oil on the front passenger side. i replaced the oil pan gasket as i thought that could be part of the problem but it doesn't seem to have helped.

any other trouble spots to check on the front end. anything that would spray oil on the passenger side?

also, the engine seems to run a bit rough, i'm new to diesel engines and it doesn't seem sound too bad but i thought while i am working on the car i would do a tune up. any suggestions on how and what i tune up?

thanks for any help and suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1968 250S, 1991 300se, 1998 SL500, 2x 1977 450SEL 6.9. Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Garage
Are there cooler lines going to the radiator? Other than that just detective work, start with clean engine and see where leaks are from. If there is a puddle after and hour, go watch 15 min after you park. Oil filter on tight?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumb View Post
Are there cooler lines going to the radiator? Other than that just detective work, start with clean engine and see where leaks are from. If there is a puddle after and hour, go watch 15 min after you park. Oil filter on tight?
thanks for the advise, yes there are cooler lines to the radiator but im pretty confident they are not the issue. I have tightened up the filter and replaced the oil pan gasket but the issue persists.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 02:17 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to An.vil

I had a similar issue with my 300D. A lot of the leak was contained when the crankshaft seal was replaced. It continued to leak however and everything indicated that it was the seal underneath the head so I gave up on that one. Hope it helps. Other than that I would check all the fuel lines I was surprised how the old lines leaked through the cracks, messed up the engine and of course my MPG was pretty bad. After that I was getting 30mpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by An.vil View Post
I had a similar issue with my 300D. A lot of the leak was contained when the crankshaft seal was replaced. It continued to leak however and everything indicated that it was the seal underneath the head so I gave up on that one. Hope it helps. Other than that I would check all the fuel lines I was surprised how the old lines leaked through the cracks, messed up the engine and of course my MPG was pretty bad. After that I was getting 30mpg

This is very helpful, may i ask did you have the front or rear crank shaft gasket replaced or both, from my research you cant replace the rear gasket without pulling the engine. is this correct? so you also had a head gasket leak? this gives me more to go on. thanks,
Corey
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 03:29 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to An.vil

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyt View Post
This is very helpful, may i ask did you have the front or rear crank shaft gasket replaced or both, from my research you cant replace the rear gasket without pulling the engine. is this correct? so you also had a head gasket leak? this gives me more to go on. thanks,
Corey
Hi Corey,

Yes I did replace only the front one (that's the main suspect in most cases of oil leaks) as far as I know you would have to pull out the engine in order to replace the rear gasket. I'm not sure if it is the head gasket leak, it seemed like it is the seal that is in the middle of the engine sealing the middle piece of the engine (between the lower part of the engine and the heads). I hope it helps. For the head gasket you probably wouldn't need to pull the engine out.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 11:48 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 1973 220D
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have a '73 220d (wonderful car) and had similar oil leak issues. The big culprit was the front crank shaft seal. In my case I had to replace not only the seal but the metal ring in the engine (the outside part the seal seals to).

But I had 200K miles on the engine then. There is a special tool to pull this ring - good luck finding one although my local German car mechanic (an older fellow) had one. He was impressed that he got to use it again.

The thing about the crank shaft is normally it is not under the oil level so stopped or low idle no leak. At higher speeds the oil splashes around and some comes out. It can drip down or get onto the pulley then get flung anywhere. Then when you stop the oil drips off the outside of the engine.

In any event the used diesel oil is black nasty stuff and I'm sure you want to fix this leak for your driveways sake.

Frank

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in