240d "upgraded rescue" - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: IMHO an old cessna "tail dragger" is a hell of a lot more fun, than the newest Maybach
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
240d "upgraded rescue"

This morning went to have my oil changed on one of my 123 300d's

long story short before lunch time ended up buying a "very clean well kept CA" 123 240d with a worn out engine and "auto" transmission that was suppose to go to the scrap yard yesterday (but was rescheduled for two weeks from now)

I have Rhodesian Ridgeback "rescue" so basically its the same idea!

So IMHO I've just rescued a classic mercedes w/ original paint from the junkyard!!

OK confession time, the 1978 300d I have had since my university days, isn't in the best "physical" shape because it is a european model that has rust in more places than I'd like to think about. The "rescue" is a straight body garage kept CA car that was basically a "spare" care that wasn't driven for years.

What I want to do is "transplant" the engine and manual transmission from my 1978 300D into the much cleaner body 1980 240d. Figure since they are both the 123 series, things should be pretty straight forward!

The only concern I/my mechanic have is the gas/clutch/brake pedals...

anyone out there have comments/suggestions.

BTW one last thing I'd like is a "custom" trunk badge. It would be a simple matter to switch out the "240d" for the "300d" but I have a "think different" sense of humor, so was wondering if it possible to make a custom trunk badge (with the same mercedes style font) that reads

240d "upgraded rescue"

300d euro 4 sp (1978) my university car lives on as my DD
[pulled the engine/trans and placed in another 123 body "w/out rust"]

300cd (1983)
[my weekend/road trip car]

80 series Land Cruiser (1993)
[my back county/overland vehicle]

I wish I had a Diesel G Wagon "manual transmission"
[and after many years of dreaming, I now have one ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 06:29 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle: '72 250C, '74 280C, '85 500SEL, '81 300CD.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
The swap is very do-able especially since you have two complete cars. Everything you need is right there and will swap over. Figure on about 30-40 man-hours.

Take the time to pressure wash the engine bays before the swap, while the receiver is empty and after it is running. It makes life a lot more pleasurable.

Replace the engine and transmission mounts. Might as well renew the flexible fuel line and whatever vacuum lines look "iffy".

Track down the neutral safety lock out connector and jumper the "start" circuit. You might need to do a little searching for the wiring of the reverse lights. The automatic uses a switch on the transmission but the manual uses (I believe) a switch on the shifter assembly. The wiring is most likely there but tucked away in the console.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in