LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1970 280sel buyer and advice seeker

OK. So I'm thinking of buying this 108 in good shape w/ 100k miles, well kept, but I am sure that this car is euro grey market 280 sel. I have heard tell that it is much harder to get parts for these as opposed to the stateside models. Is this true? How onerous is it to find parts?

Lastly, how safe is this vehicle? I plan to teach my teen how to drive in it. Obviously no air bags. Any thoughts therein that can either bolster the decision, or make me walk away - most welcome.
Thanks,
ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
For safety, these cars are built like tanks. You should say a prayer for the OTHER guy if you get in a wreck with it. When I was 16, I got into a fender bender with my dad's. The other car, a Ford LTD, was totaled (pieces everywhere). The Benz had a crunched fender.

Parts are easy to find. I've never been unable to find a part for my 108. The guy who monitors/regulates this forum, GermanStar, seems to be fully stocked with everything. I've had great luck with eBay, PeachParts and Autohaus. I've also had great luck with Napa, Kraegan and O' Reilly's as well.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 12:40 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 1981 300TD 310k--1966 230 165k--1970 280se 172k
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Ditto what Grubeguy said. I'm a big fan of the w108 chassis and its a durable, classic, big-breasted ride. Especially the sel. With excellent brakes and good visibility, I feel it's a very safe car.

On my car, however, two things affect its safety. First, there is no passenger side rear view mirror. And secondly, it has Kangol seat belts which IMO are awkward and not a pleasure to use. So much so that there is a temptation to not use them on short trips. So check those out on the car you are about to buy. Both can be remedied if you desire.

I admire the father that can get his teenager in the mindset to find and accept the coolness of these superb cars.

1981 300TD--310k miles
1970 280sel--172k miles
1966 230--162k miles

Last edited by carpenterman; 01-11-2013 at 12:45 PM.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 04:05 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They are quite the car. I have had a 1971 280 SEL for about 20 years now. Besides the obvious like rust, engine and transmission...make sure to check out the heater levers. From what I understand they are a nightmare to work on. I remember at one point my dad drove it for about a year with no heat, and that was apparently better than fixing the levers. As for room, you could hold a convention in the back seat. I currently drive a Chevrolet Suburban and the 280SEL has a good 5 or 6 inches more legroom than the Suburban. Of course the breaks are not anti-lock but mine has 4 wheel disk and amazing stopping power. It will have its share of strange behavior, but nothing too serious. There could be some electrical issues, first thing that comes to mind is the fuses were hard to find, but that was pre-internet. In fact the previous owner of mine worked for General Dynamics and added a bunch of electrical parts from a scrap plane, helicopter, something....and even that wasn't that bad. Somewhere I have the big service manual, if you get one let me know I am sure I can track it down.

Last edited by treyiii; 01-14-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in