1965 300SE sedan - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jan 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hi Drew. Appreciate your info and interest. One of my brothers (AKA) Lobo toured OZ in the early 70s.

My far younger half-brother was his road manager, Everywhere my youngest brother went, the entire tour, here was this girl. Ended up marrying her (1 of 5) so I know a bit about Australians-that's a compliment. Her father was Australian Air pilot. Ha.

I am glad at least someone agrees with my attitudes. I have 5 XJS's and the only one that runs properly is a custom bodied 82' that is wired like a hot rod-although still dependent on the engine computer. (I work with foam, fiberglass and carbon fiber)

I rent a space in a small garage that does whatever in the wayback of SW Virginia. But
at heart they are dragsters-Chevy's. The owner has one that runs 5.70 in the eighth. They actually are really impressed with the Mercedes mechanically. The metal work they can do inexpensively. They think maybe air shocks can be fitted. the original uphostery was
a velour like cloth. Labor is cheap-factories closing all over the place. Who knows. Rog
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 05:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
One option you have is to replace the running gear with a more modern Benz engine. Same thing with the suspension. The 111 stuff will interchange with the 112, if memory serves.

I've got a 300SEL that had shot air bags (it was my Dad's), and he replaced the rear end with something out of a 280SEL, and put shocks on the front. Helluvalot cheaper than replacing bags, compressors, seals, lines, etc.

As for rust, I can say with certainty that rust outside = rust inside. But, if you have a welder and are handy with a Makita (or similar rotary cutting/grinding tool), metal can be replaced. Rocker panels are available on the internet, as are other parts.

Where are you located, by the way? And do you have pics of your beast?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
(Thread Starter)
Thanks to all. Comments are across the board. no different than I expected. One
thing is certain, I will not do a complete restoration. Another is those seeking the car
want to pay junk yard prices, yet extol the necessity of using original parts which isn't
necessarily a contradiction, but a curiosity, since parts (like the pans. rocker panels)
I can't find. At this point, I will do whatever, save original parts for a purist and if I
end up with a "rat Mercedes" so be it. Best, Roger
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
(Thread Starter)

Having considered all suggestions, I am going to part this car starting with the
motor/engine and all working parts attached to it. This engine has been driven
at low speeds around a farm for 14 years -never registered, never put on the highway and run at any kind of speed to get the carbons out. I am a great believer in MB, more so than I am typical re-builders.

My guess is this original motor was balanced/blueprinted and handmade by
the best mechanics in the world. The emphasis is on "Original".

It will show up on e-bay as soon as I can shoot a video so that everyone
can not only "see," but "hear" this engine running and the car "barnyard driving" in a small circle. Then still close-ups once it is pulled.

The price I determined by adding up the various engine parts on e-bay(about half of what one needs to rebuild a motor-not to mention thousands of dollars in machine/mechanic works) and dividing by 2. Thanks, Roger
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 04:25 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Oct 2009
looking for some 300se 112 parts

Hi guys can you suggest somebody that has some parts here in California
im restoring one at the moment.....

thanks, Javier

I have not specifically looked at my 300SE to check the power steering fluid, but every other MB uses trans fluid in the power steering. So oil in there sounds very bad to me. Usually there is a disc shaped filter at the bottom of the reservoir.

I was talking to a mate over here about my 300SE yesterday - only 2 people in oz rebuild the valves - cost about $300 each, or something like that. New airbags from MB are about $400 ea from memory. So no, it is not cheap to fix up, but if done properly, it should last many years. We are going to look into aftermarket valves in a few months time to see if they can be used instead - a lot cheaper.

What parts are you after? My mate has about 3 complete M189's for spares - he even rebuilt a fourth for a guy in Uruguay (from memory). And another guy in Melbourne has heaps of parts for them. Not cheap though as he checks them all and guarantees their operation. And I have bought stuff from a guy in Cali who was parting out about 3 W112's. But no, if you just look on ebay, there is not a lot there. These are an enthusuasts car with low numbers, so mainstream advertising is minimal.

And lastly, there are no 'sins' in car resto. I am not a purist - not one of my MB's has been kept standard. Like agillot, a lot of people are terrified of the extra complexity (and cost) of a W112. Well if the body is stuffed, the air suspension knackered and the M189 suspect, and you don't have the money or desire to fix all of these, then really all you have is some special trims! Buy a good condition W111 for (relative) peanuts instead and enjoy! You could part out the W112, but first see if anyone wants a matching numbers W112. They may be out there, and would be thrilled at the chance to revive one of these cars. For example, see this - M-100 Message Board - Arts other 300 SEL This guy rescued a W112 long wheelbase from a wreckers yard, where it had another car sitting on top of it! I bought my finnie from the same yard - they pointed out the W112 to me, but I didn't know much about them back then and when I saw the dent in the roof I said no way. But it actually popped out quite easily!

I too am grappling with similar issues with my matching numbers 300SE coupe. I am a hotrodder by nature, and my ultimate coupe is really with a V8, not the 6. So I am liaising with a fellow in New Zealand to see if he wants to buy the W112 and I would then buy a LHD 220SE coupe that I know is lurking nearby (which has less value in Oz) and hot rod that - put in the air suspension and diff from a 6.3, and an M117 motor from a no-smog W126 500SEC. Plus various body mods. So I will try to sell the W112 first. If no one wants it, then the market has spoken and it will get the transplant. Any purists who claim sacrelige afterwards will be asked where their $ was when it mattered...
Good luck with your decision!
Cheers, Drew
PS - check out the brakes you have also - if they are early Dunlop calipers, they can suck up lots of $ too... But people restoring these cars may pay a good price for serviceable ones, if you can handle them sitting on your shelf for possibly a long time.[/QUOTE]
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
(Thread Starter)
Hi Drew: Guess I never responded. My mechanic said "we put oil in the power steering
of the big trucks all the time". That said, any lubricant is better than nothing,
and in the case of my car, I know it sat for a few years and hasn't been out of the
barnyard since 1994. I think oil just kept the seals moist and perhaps for the purpose
of being up on blocks, it was OK. Believe it can easily be cleaned. I am parting car,
if you didn't see my thread, but keeping engine/attachments intact. We'll see, Roger
P.S. Ran across an article you've probably seen. The W112 with an AMG V-8 and
trany done by a sub of MB-wow and only $400,000????????????????????????????????????
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 06:33 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1965 220SE sedan (finnie) with 450SE conversion, 1964 220SE coupe project, 1966 300SE coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Good luck with your parting out Roger, I hope some other 112's can live on because of it! Wish I was not so distant - perhaps your brothers ex can bring an engine over to oz as carry-on baggage??!!. The suspension arms on the front and rear can be popular as the lowriders can put them on any old 111 or 108 and mount the air bags to them. Some interior and exterior trims are also unique to the 112, so you should do ok with them.

racer, what parts are you after? New or used? You should consider signing up to the yahoo heckflosse group - the moderator there has some parts, and I have bought some used stuff from a guy just out of LA in Industry City (from memory).
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
(Thread Starter)
Hiding motor under skirt?

As I remember her, she was blond, beautiful and had a lovely figure and
the engine would never fit under her skirts. As far as carry-
on, if her father was still a pilot (and I'm sure he has long since retired)
that might have been a real possibility as pilots do weird things for one
another-so I've been told. The sun is out here after several bad days and
I am preparing to do the big "shoot" of my W112. It essentially is to illustrate
the motor and record the sound of the engine starting and running before draining fluids and pulling it from the car. There's a curious twist to it:
my last year in Journalism school, I shot a commercial (16mm) of a 300SL
as a final project. And my first job out of college was in NYC as an ad
copywriter. Helped introduced the very first Mustang. Am I ageing myself
or what? Best, Roger
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: