post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Dec 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bringing a 1960 180b back to life

Seasons Greetings and a Happy New Year to All,

As this is my first post, please let me know if I have followed the guidelines.

Roughly three months ago I practically stole this 1960 180B. It is as solid as solid can be. The floors, frame, panels, you name it; it's original German steel. The only problem was that it was stored in one of those cheap pre-fabricated sheds and the upstate NY snow collapsed the roof, BADLY. In the past two months I have well over a hundred to a hundred and fifty hours in her. Not just the roof, but the cleaning, engine (bad #3 exhaust valve-no biggie.)

This car has become an obsession. My father and I own a building where in the front is his Mercedes repair facility and in the back addition I design and manufacture designer industrial furniture and lighting. I've been a metal sculptor for 20 years so the transformation to bodyman was interesting. I've become addicted to on-line videos about Mercedes repair and maintenance and am pretty proud of myself. I just have one more upper rear door sill to straighten and then align about 18" of the railing that supports the perimeter of the roof by the door. All the gaps are good and the rear window fits nicely. I'm quite proud of that since when it was hit the glass POPPED OUT and a 7" deep crease appeared. I'd say there's another 10 hours of metal work and grinding before I begin the mud work. Ideally, there'd be no plastic at all, but that's just not possible. This roof looked like the Pacific ocean. It even pushed the rear drivers side door out 3"-5" at the window frame.

MY MAIN PROBLEM IS THE WINDSHIELD. Mercedes wants over $1,000 for it and the best price on EBay is $500. REALLY? The seal alone is $125! I know it's not a Neon or a Cavalier, but 1K? If anyone out there has a windshield they want to sell for a moderate price or trade for something we may have in stock from 40 years of Mercedes, I'd love to talk to you.

Future plans include those neat stainless steel bumpers from the U.K. I already have mine off and I've worked them over to be nice cores. The bumper guards are actually really nice. I'm eventually going to have the custom carpeting put in that you can buy off of EBay (Dynamat the floor first, of course.) I have a great hook up with an upholsterer whose going to do the head liner in color matching perforated vinyl using the original bars. The little chrome tha'ts on it like the handles and mirror will be done in time. AND it's getting a color change. I've seen a dull satin black on some of the early diesels and I'm going to add some purple mica and/or pearl to that. Lots of priming and block sanding to make it right though.

Well, that's my story. I'd love to hear your thoughts, suggestions, death threats.

Thanks for reading and have a terrific day. I have a ton of pictures I'm going to post in the gallery. You wouldn't believe how clean the undercarriage came out with concentrated degreaser and a pressure washer. Just wait till I get my 220 Diesel pressure washer up and running
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 10:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2004
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Congratulations on the purchase of the ponton 180b. We have a 180b too. I have been collecting parts for those vehicles for more than 20 years already. I wanted the older model of it. Reason why i collected parts all those years.. Let me check i might have a windshield around.
Seals are quite expensive for those cars especially original factory ones. There are replacement ones available too. Not so sure on the pricing right now.

A pic of our car & some of the parts that we have accumulated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AUG506MACBOOK3426copy.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	486455  
Attached Images

Looking for 1 15" ARC & 1 Centra Bundts wheels
'76 300D '84 300DT
'86 300SDL '91 300D 2.5 Turbo
'92 300E Sportline '92 400E
'88 560SEC '89 560SEL
'90 300E-24 '82 230CE
'88 250d 5 speed '88 300d 5 speed
' 88 300te 5 speed X2
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 07:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I think I saw you on our ponton list a few days ago. That's where I'd expect you would have the best chance of finding a used windshield. There are a few dealers around that sell at wholesale. I'd be happy to give you info on a few of them. You really ought to buy at least the seal from the dealer. There have been lots of complaints about aftermarket seals. I can't believe a windshield for a sedan is costing you that much. I bought one from my dealer for my cabriolet a couple of years ago and it had to be shipped from Germany - cost was only $325. I'm away from home right now, so I don't have my parts books handy. I can look up the MSRP price for your windshield when I get home or can do it here if you have the part number handy. You can do it yourself if you sign up for the free EPC.

'59 220S Cabriolet - for sale -
'83 240D original owner 351,500 miles - for sale -
'88 560SL 41,000 miles being parted out -
'99 E300 turbo 196,000 miles
'03 SLK320 34,500 miles
'14 Smart electric
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 08:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a ton of pictures I'm going to post in the gallery
Post em in this thread and keep on updating on here as well makes for interesting archives later on

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: