post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Sep 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1976 240d fuel leak question

Hello All,
I picked up a 240d this afternoon that is in great shape other than being hard to start and has a bit of a leak you might say at the injectors. Yes, all of them! Quick dumb question: do these motors have seals at the injector/head or are they sealed some other way? The return hoses look to be original and they seem to be soaked with fuel. While I think it is unlikely that all of the hoses are leaking and all of the seal have failed, just what is going on is not totally clear. Sorry if this question is half cocked, but until I pick up a manual I feel like I am a little bit in the dark. The car runs and drives great! Also, did California models come without heater plugs or were heater plugs aftermarket? Do they merely screw into one of the right side freeze plugs? Sorry for so many question.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 10:40 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 1973 220D
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lee - welcome to the 240. I have a similar vintage Diesel. The hoses age - I would be surprised it you had original hoses and they were not leaking. So you'll want to replace all of the hoses ASAP - they can fail catastrophically dumping lots of fuel all over. The pre-chambers can be leaking which requires special tools (see links below).

Check out http://mercedessource.com for some great instructional videos on your engine (he also has a store selling parts and tools) These parts might also be interesting. ( i have no interest in that website although I have bought stuff from him - and had good results)

As I recall heater plugs were optional on all of the MB diesels - and they do just screw in. I have never had one (I live in SF bay area - not below freezing often).

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Premium Member
Date registered: Nov 2012
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
replace the fuel return lines at injectors , common to leak . injectors themself dont leak unless someone took them apart !!!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Sep 2011
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys for the input. I looked at the fuel lines this evening with a LED flashlight while the engine was running out side of the garage. The lines are obviously leaking, but it is hard to tell in normal lighting conditions. New fuel lines are on their way. The car is in the garage tonight with a heat lamp underneith untill the block heater arrives. Still hard starting, but I will dive further into that later. What a great car though, diesel stink and all.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: