New to Forum, Picked up this W114 with a transmission issue - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Dec 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New to Forum, Picked up this W114 with a transmission issue

I recently purchased this 1969 230 from a repair facility here in Michigan. It has the 6 cylinder engine with an automatic trans. The car had had substantial maintenance work done to the tune of $8000 in 1995 and has had less than 100 miles put on it since. It has 88,000 miles on it and minimal rust for this model, this age and in Michigan. The story goes that the original owner had it serviced at this German repair shop and then died before he paid the bill. In the paperwork that came with the car I have letters from attorneys for the process of obtaining the title for the car. It then spent the last 17 years in a storage building, having been taken out on occasion to be freshened up. Recently, the repair facility was purchased along with the storage building full of dusty old cars, this one being the first to come out and be put up for sale.

Now to the problem at hand. The transmission is disengaging at stop lights and on occasion when the car is coasting. In the short amount of time I have been to drive it I’ve come to the conclusion that this only happens when the car is in the normal high gear selection. If I start from a stop in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear, or leave it in 3rd, the transmission shifts up as far as third and stays engaged throughout the drive. Only if it is in 4th gear, the trans will disengage when the car comes to a stop at a light. Upon giving the car some throttle, it will pop back into gear and resume forward. Reverse gear is fine.

Could this be a vacuum related problem or something more serious? The fluid is clean and clear and full. I guess my question is whether this is a common issue with this model and if there might be something I should do first to begin the diagnostic process. I have read the various articles and procedures on the B2 piston, but I am unsure if this applys to this model transmission. I have a fairly extensive history working on cars, mainly Volkswagens of all generations. With that said, I have very little experience with automatic transmissions.

I didn’t pay very much for this car at all. I am tempted to put some time and money into it to make this car work again so my wife and I can drive it on weekends and throughout the summer months. This will be an occasional driver.

Any help you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 09:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 1972 280CE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
When you say disengage, do you mean slip? As in you're driving along and then it acts as if it's in neutral?

With best regards

Check out the W114, W115 /8 enthusiast forum

My 280SL restoration
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Dec 2012
(Thread Starter)
It only happens when decelerating, usually to a stop light or stop sign.

Very similar to this description.
79 300d slipping into neutral at stops? - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

Here is a typical scenario:

Start car, put it in drive (4th gear). Car accelerates and drives normally.

Approach a stop light, decelerate, and shortly before the car comes to rest, the trans seems to shift into neutral, there is no load on the engine at this point. It will idle as if it is in neutral while I sit at the light.

Light turns green, release the brakes, give it light throttle, car doesn't move.

Give it a little more throttle, trans re-engages with a Thunk! and then continues normally.

This does not happen when the selector is set to 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear.

Last edited by 20bugsys; 12-03-2012 at 09:12 PM.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 07:02 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
I would advise changing fluid, filter/gasket.
drain trans and converter while warm,
,refill to proper level and test.

Inspect ALL rubber and nylon parts

Brian O
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 07:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2000 VW Golf Variant
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
With a car that hasn't moved over such a long time I would be inclined to change all the fluids, including the transmission oil and transmission filter.

Check the vacuum line to the transmission too, change the rubber connector pieces and check if the modulator holds vacuum.

What happens if you decelerate is that the transmission will shift back. It appears that the last shift back to second gear doesn't work. The automatic transmission consists of two sets of planetary gears. Bands and clutches engage and disengage to actuate certain sets of gear wheels, so that a specific ratio is achieved. It could be that the B2 isn't working like it should, but it is not a general malfunction, otherwise you would notice it whilst driving too.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 01:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bostosh View Post
I would advise changing fluid, filter/gasket.
drain trans and converter while warm,
,refill to proper level and test.

Inspect ALL rubber and nylon parts
I agree, easy stuff first.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: